C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

restart from storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 12:06 AM
nail40
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default restart from storage

76 racer has been sitting under cover outside (fairly dry climate)for over two years. I am going to restart it this spring. What should I do before I turn it over besides hook up the battery? I don't want to bust a piston etc.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:16 AM
Aaron76
Pro

Default Re: restart from storage (nail40)

you won't bust a piston but there are some steps you can take if your concerned about the starting a dry engine
1 you can take out the dist and crank the oil pump with a special tool
2 you can take out the spark plugs and give a couple squirts of oil to provide initial lube
One thing for sure don't rev it very high in the begining give the oil a chance to get around.
I hope this helps
and oh yes welcome to the Forum
:cool: :cheers:
Old 02-28-2002, 12:24 AM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: restart from storage (Aaron76)

I would turn the crank over by hand to make sure that it is free. Sometimes flash rusting can seize the rings to the cylinder and can pop a ring. I have had this happen twice, so the odds aren't very high of it hurting it. One was on a farm tractor and one on an irrigation engine, not a vette. It wouldn't hurt to squirt a little WD-40 in each cylinder to up some lubrication in the upper part of the bore. :seeya

Phlash 72 BB Roadster
Old 02-28-2002, 09:50 AM
SevenT1Shark
Instructor

Default Re: restart from storage (Phlash)

I agree with the wd40 in all spark plug holes before you crank it. It may sound like a lot of extra work but it will be worth it. Also since it is easy to siphon all gas out of tank and add fresh gas. Change oil before starting also. :cool: :cheers: :seeya ...........
Old 02-28-2002, 10:03 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

In addition to all the pre-lube measures, to make sure it starts sooner rather than later, spray some aerosol starting fluid (ether) in the carb mouth immediately before you turn the key. The engine should crank right up. Plus the fluid usually has some lubricant in it which can't hurt.

Mark
Old 02-28-2002, 11:20 AM
skinsfan
Advanced

all of the above, plus drain and flush your fuel tank(you dont want that nasty stuff going to your carb), you might need to redoo the main oil seal. . Check all of your rubber, hoses, belts, bushings. Check your brakes. Distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs, filters. Mine sat for around 4 years and these were the main problem areas. BE GENTLE :blueangel:
Old 02-28-2002, 12:20 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want/need to pull the carb. apart and perform some cleaning if you didn't drain all gas from car or run it dry. Gasoline will get really 'gummy' with age, and should be removed from fuel delivery system prior to start up.

Perhaps you can get by, with removal of fuel line/fuel filter, and squirting liberal amounts of carb cleaner into the carb, before start up. Install new fuel filter also, in addition to change of engine oil and filter.

Also adivise checking brakes before you take off after starting car, especially if you still have factory calipers, and they haven't been changed over to the stainless steel calipers. At a minium, check brake fluid.

Get notified of new replies

To restart from storage

Quick Reply: restart from storage