C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How tough of a job is it to remove the Light Assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 09:08 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How tough of a job is it to remove the Light Assemblies

My light assemblies have sunk it apears that the metal that is bonded to the fiberglass has let go. I took it to a vette shop and they said they will charge 8 hours labour to remove and rebond the fiberglass to the steel unit and re-install the lite assemblies. Does 8 hours seem right
Old 02-27-2002, 09:22 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: How tough of a job is it to remove the Light Assemblies (73-454)

TOUGH!!!! 8 hrs to remove reattach and replace, sounds like they know a trick.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:29 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Not sure which metal you mean. The back of the light assemblies (where it pivots) can sink if the bushings get real worn: the light will probably wobble a lot if this happens. Anyway, it was pretty hard to get access to some of the bolts on the outboard pivot and I don't have the biggest hands. I had the grill and bottom panel off (can't remember what you call it) which made things easier. Can you post a picture? Still not sure exactly what you mean.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How tough of a job is it to remove the Light Assemblies (Frank75)

I just removed them this weekend. I will tell you one trick. Don't try to remove just the headlight capsule (the part that pivots) Remove the entire housing. In fact my car didn't have the slots in the housing that allows the shafts of the pivot to slide out. Don't know why...they must have changed the casting midyear.

To do this yank a few electrical connections, two vacuum lines and unbolt about 6 bolts and you are good to go. Now for the trick (that I learned the hard way).

First remove the front grills so you have access (easy, few screws) and then remove the hood. This allows you get the whole module ou the back. If you try to drop it out the front you'll scratch the tops 99% of the time.

You should be able to do them both yourself (in and out, not counting the time you spend on them out of the car) in less than 8 hours.

[Modified by Monkeywrench, 8:02 AM 2/28/2002]
Old 02-27-2002, 11:10 PM
Racer16k
Pro

Yeah I think you could. The bumper cover was off of mine when I fixed my steel support. I think you can get to it without taking the headlight doors out of the car. Maybe just let them set in the bottom of the nose. Maybe not, pretty tight in there. I think my bumper was off too. Might be fun. :crazy:
Old 02-28-2002, 12:07 AM
Aaron76
Pro

I would recomend removing them yourself and takeing the assemblies in, if you have the time. That way you can inspect the springs, bushings and all the other stuff and if you find any thing you can address these isues. and you will only have to remove and install them once. plus save a bit of cash
:yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To How tough of a job is it to remove the Light Assemblies

Quick Reply: How tough of a job is it to remove the Light Assemblies