C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie Pressuver VS Wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 07:55 PM
rdrman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie Pressuver VS Wear

I had a set of Goodyear Eagle st 245-60-15 on my 74.Front tires wore even, the rears had more wear on the outer edges the center section had more tread left but not a whole lot more.I just do not want to mess up the new tires Tire pressure was 32 psi. Bought a set of goodyear wingfoot same size. Was planning to incress the pressure up to 35 psi is this in the ball park? The tire store said everything seemed OK except that the pressure was to Low,they said that a higher pressure will balance out the wear on the rear tires.They recomended 40 psi, that sounds kind of high?Anyone one use this pressure in this range? Thanks in advance for any recomondations on this Question,RDRMAN :confused:
Old 02-27-2002, 08:32 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Tie Pressuver VS Wear (rdrman)

Hmm... i think that after the tires have been sitting for a while, they do wear quicker than normal... i say make em look nice, keep em for a while... store them on your current rims and drops a set of tt2's and z rated shoes on it :cheers:
Old 02-27-2002, 09:50 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Tie Pressuver VS Wear (rdrman)

If the main concern is longevity, and assuming that the new tires wear the same as the old ones, stick with 32 front but go to 35 rear. Because different model tires, even from the same mfg, may have different characteristics, the only sure way to know if they're wearing evenly is to monitor how they are wearing. Get a thread depth guage, measure for differences between inner and outer tread every few thousand miles, and adjust pressures accordingly. Tire pressures also affect handling characteristics, traction, ride, and fuel economy so you often have to compromise one trait for another.

Get notified of new replies

To Tie Pressuver VS Wear

Quick Reply: Tie Pressuver VS Wear