C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Tips on Cleaning Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 03:26 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need Tips on Cleaning Pipes

I want to clean the "Y" pipe on my 1981 before installing new DynoMax mufflers. This is the pipe between the catalytic and the mufflers. Any suggestions on a cleaning process?
Old 02-27-2002, 04:08 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need Tips on Cleaning Pipes (Biker)

Rev the engine up to about 5000rpm and then quickly turn it off,still with the pedal firmly to the floor,and then turn it on again,this should clean them right out.. ;) ...Seiously,could recommend a rotating stellbrush that connects to a drillingmachine or such..,maybe? :D
Old 02-27-2002, 04:28 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

As wowbagger stated above, I'd try a "soft" wire brush on a drill. That's the way I strip all my parts of rust and paint. A "stiff" brush leaves scratches in the metal thqat you'll have to sand out, but the soft works well.
P.S. Hey Biker: Are you going on the "Little Angels Run" in Elgin this year? If so..maybe we can meet to check out the bikes? :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-27-2002, 04:51 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need Tips on Cleaning Pipes (Silvr77)

Thanks for the input. I had considered a drill/wire brush combo, but wanted to ask if there are any other ways to get the job done.

Slvr77--I wasn't aware of the "Little Angels" run in Elgin, though I'm interested. Do you have any more details on the event, or is there a website I can check?
Old 02-27-2002, 05:17 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Little Angels Hospital, a portion of the "Larkin Center" sponsers a 100 mi run every year to benifit their childrens hospital. Close to 4,000 bikes attend. It kicks off from Elgin Community College in early May (Ithink). Fishers H.O.G. is the sponsoring chapter. Registration is through Fishers. The earlier you register, the cheaper it is. ($10. now, $30. at the gate) I've gone for three years in a row, and it's a great ride through the western countryside. Well organized, well behaved, and well run event. Food, music, custom bikes, and raffels follow the ride. Only drawback is no LIQUOR!! I'm riding with a lady who has her own bike, and lives in Naperville. (I love the "River Walk"..took the Vette and bike there last summer) If you want the exact date, I'll post later when I'm home. Hope you can make it!! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Need Tips on Cleaning Pipes

Quick Reply: Need Tips on Cleaning Pipes