C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Bearing Install Questions on 78SA

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 11:52 AM
DEN78SA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Bearing Install Questions on 78SA

I am attempting to change out the rear bearing, have noise coming from the the rotor. Can I do this myself? It states in the Chilton manual that I need a puller. I can't find a puller locally. I have the rear axle out, spindle nut off & have tapped with a 3 pound hammer on the spindle bolt, but no movement.
I called a local machine shop and they state that the bearing is pressed on and has to be done at a machine shop. What else do I have to disconnect to get it out? Thanks for your help! :confused:
Old 02-27-2002, 12:08 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rear Bearing Install Questions on 78SA (DEN78SA)

I would agree that you should not do this yourself unless you have a press. The tolerences are very tight.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:16 PM
noskillz
Racer

There is tool that you can order form International Axle that is the same as in the GM shop manual. I tried a BIG two jaw gear puller and impact wrench with no luck. The tool works on the same principle so I don't know if it would have worked either. The spindle was too big for my 10 ton press, so I took it to the machine shop. The bearing was REALLY stuck. They ended up having to heat the inner race while pressing to get it out without wrecking the spindle. With those close tolerences its amazing what a little bit of rust will do!
It's the inner bearing that holds the spindle in the carrier.

Funny thing, the other side came out with the tap of a hammer.

BTW - I did order Int Axle's outer bearing puller. It works very good. You will need this or something similiar if you want to take the outer bearing race off.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:50 PM
Vader953
Instructor

Default Re: Rear Bearing Install Questions on 78SA (noskillz)

I heard that most shops charge 1000 to 1500 dollars to do this. GOd I hope mine doesn't need it, cause it'll be sitting in the garage!!!
Old 02-27-2002, 02:02 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: Rear Bearing Install Questions on 78SA (Vader953)

I had the local speed shop do mine (I asked first if they knew vettes), they did both sides for like $90 each.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:21 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The housing that holds the spindle comes off with just 4 bolts. Remove the caliper, rotor, nut, flange then undo the 4 nuts and slid the axle holder off. This is alot easier to work with then under the car with the trailing arm wobbling. I also sand some extra clearance in the inner bearing by polishing the axle. This bearing doesn't have to be this tight. It has a inner shimmed sleave and and axle nut torqued to over 100 foot lbs. Tom's axles advertise about the bearings sliding off and on easy for easy assembly dissassembly.
This is a job that I feel is very overrated. I know I will get flamed for this but I have done it a number of times and even disigned and machined my own rear axles 85 % larger then stock.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:04 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I just finished doing both of mine. One concern I have from your statement is you hit the end of the spindle with a 3 lb hammer. I hope you didn't "bug" up the threads or you may be going for new spindles. I used the spindle knocker to protect the threads when pressing off. You should make or buy a setup tool and base plate to correctly setup the end play of the bearings. It's not a very hard job but time comsuming to do it right.Once the T arm is out of the car I like doing these rebuilds.
Check the archives there have been numerious posts on the bearings over the last month or two.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Bearing Install Questions on 78SA

Quick Reply: Rear Bearing Install Questions on 78SA