C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front yoke tourque question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 02:13 AM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Front yoke tourque question

A friend of mine let me borrow a rear end he has, after I broke mine. He does not know if he retourqued the front (pinion ?) yoke after he had the front yoke off. It was tourqued to set the initial crush. I believe any subsequent torqueing after the one to set the crush is less than the first one, if it is, what is the retourque number, if not what is the initial tourque setting?

While I am at it, what is the tourque setting on the side yoke caps?
Old 02-27-2002, 09:05 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Front yoke tourque question (69 N.O.X. RATT)

The pinion nut is not normally torqued. The nut is tightened down until the drag on the bearings is a certain value. Guessing 15 inch lbs for used bearings and 25 inch lbs for new. You would continually tighten the nut in small steps stopping frequently to check the drag on the bears. It is recommended that the nut is never removed without replacing the crush sleeve. I guess all that you can do it snug it down to say 150 ft lbs with locktight on the thread. When working with a new crush sleeve the torque certainly exceeds 150 ft lbs but you are not recrushing a sleeve just pulling up against it.
Good luck
Old 02-27-2002, 01:23 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Front yoke tourque question (69 N.O.X. RATT)

While I am at it, what is the tourque setting on the side yoke caps?
I just did mine. I'm assuming that you have the BB caps and not the SB ubolts. I'm at work, but according to the 69 AIM, I think it was 40-60ftlbs for the caps and 14-18ftlbs for the ubolts. I torqued mine to 55ftlbs. BTW, I read somewhere that the reason that the ubolts torque is so much lower is so that you don't compress and distort the ujoint caps whereas the BB-style caps mate with and tighten against the yoke flange and thus will not compress the caps.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:30 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Front yoke tourque question (Marks69BB)

Get notified of new replies

To Front yoke tourque question

Quick Reply: Front yoke tourque question