C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duel Exhaust Clearance Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 12:46 AM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Duel Exhaust Clearance Issues

I had duel exhaust (2.5" pipes) installed on my '75 and the clearance is now about 3". This is unacceptable, and I am wondering how should the routing be done so that I can have greater clearance? The pipes should go under the leaf springs and not over, correct?

Thanks,

SES

[Modified by VolVette, 10:48 PM 2/26/2002]
Old 02-27-2002, 01:05 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Duel Exhaust Clearance Issues (VolVette)

Under is correct. Centered on the strut rod bracket allows them to be as high as possible.If you have a fiberglass rear spring, be certain to shield it from exhaust heat.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:07 PM
vettesite
Burning Brakes

Starting from the headers, my duals bend around the trans and bend back in to pass through the holes in the crossmember, bend back out to go around the sides of the differential mount, sharp bend up and under the leaf toward the tires and the sharp bend back into the flowmasters. I have more clearence than my stock system.

Old 02-27-2002, 04:50 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Duel Exhaust Clearance Issues (vettesite)

Starting from the headers, my duals bend around the trans and bend back in to pass through the holes in the crossmember, bend back out to go around the sides of the differential mount, sharp bend up and under the leaf toward the tires and the sharp bend back into the flowmasters. I have more clearence than my stock system.
:yesnod: :yesnod: Same here.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:02 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Your routing sounds correct and that's probably the minimum clearance spot (3"-4") on mine also. The pipes have got to get real close to the differential.

Even if you don't have a composite spring, you should have a heat shield (stock) there to protect the differential.

If you haven't already, you could remove the spare tire & tub and pick up at least another inch of clearance.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:15 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

recommend you have your muffler man weld on a skid plate onthe low portion of the exhaust under the diff. I used a piece of 3" ex pipe cut in half and welded to the bottom of my 2.5" pipes. The skids protect the real exhaust from damage.

Get notified of new replies

To Duel Exhaust Clearance Issues

Quick Reply: Duel Exhaust Clearance Issues