C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler Flubbing???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 10:11 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Muffler Flubbing???

Some of you may have read about my toils with upgrading my exhaust.

I finally installed the Dynomax Ceramacoat Headers and drove it down to the shop to have them connect them to my Flowmaster Mufflers. Of course, they screwed up and the exhaust hangs too low and drags, so, I have to bring it back. Beside that, when my RPM's are between 1000-2000, there seems like there is some sort of flubbing or resonance in just one of the mufflers. Have some of you experienced this? How can I ensure that when I take it back to the shop tomorrow that this is fixed?

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 02-26-2002, 10:21 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Muffler Flubbing??? (VolVette)

Did you have a crossover installed?
Old 02-27-2002, 12:03 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

With Flowmasters you can pretty much expect some resonance- how can you tell it's just from one side? Are you listening from inside or behind the car? It's hard to help w/o actually hearing the sound myself. If it's just one side that would be unusual- makes me wonder if there's a bad weld in the muffler, although I've never heard of a Flowmaster having such a problem. More info would help.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:33 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

jerry is right, put on a crossover or h-pipe it will improve performance and cut way down on the resonance.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:35 AM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

I just took a closer look and found that the driver's side muffler has an 1.5" slit in it! Crap! They are FlowMaster Mufflers. Are there any sort of guarantee on these things?

Old 02-27-2002, 02:24 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

They SHOULD back it up but the big question they'll ask is- when did it happen? I doubt that they'd pack & ship it w/o a final inspection, although anything can happen. Did you look the mufflers over before going to the muffler shop? I think it's more likely to have happened there than at Flowmaster.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:26 AM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Muffler Flubbing??? (Les)

They SHOULD back it up but the big question they'll ask is- when did it happen? I doubt that they'd pack & ship it w/o a final inspection, although anything can happen. Did you look the mufflers over before going to the muffler shop? I think it's more likely to have happened there than at Flowmaster.
I did not look it over before bringing it there, however, the slit, is really just a small line of holes that have obviously burned out over time. The previous exhaust was a 2-1-2 setup and for some reason the majority of the exhaust flow seemed to come out of that one side. I figure the pressure and overuse within the muffler is what caused it because the other muffler is perfectly fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler Flubbing???

Quick Reply: Muffler Flubbing???