C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 09:45 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Oil Pan Question?

The oil pan that I will be getting is the Moroso 6qt Street/Strip Pan w/ Integral Scraper & Windage Tray (#710-20403 From Jeg's). In the Jeg's catalog it also lists a "Pump Pickup." What exactly is this and do I need to order one?

I'm going to talk to my uncle this weekend to get the ring compressor off of him. Spring break is next week so you can guess what I'll be doing for my spring break :D. While all my buddies are drinking themselves into a stupor I'll be putting those pistons in the block (and loving it :yesnod:). My goal is to get those pistons in before the end of spring break. I can't wait!

I finished sanding my radiator support yesterday. I also painted it with a good coat of high temperature paint. It sure looks pretty :).
Old 02-26-2002, 09:48 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Pan Question? (bence13_33)

Shane,
Isn't that what hooks to the oil pump and sits in the bottom of the pan? I had to have one of these in my new 383.

Also might want to check into that windage tray. The corvette ones are slightly different. Might require some mods.

:flag

[Modified by Clink69, 7:49 PM 2/26/2002]
Old 02-26-2002, 10:01 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Oil Pan Question? (Clink69)

Clink:
Looks like I'll be getting the pump pickup then :). Exactly what is the difference with a Corvette windage tray and a universal one? Thanks. :cheers:
Old 02-27-2002, 04:07 PM
Bob Jenkins
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pick-up is designed for use with the deeper sump of your pan. Just order the correct pick-up from Jegs and have someone tack weld it to your new pump. Welding the pick-up to the pump makes sure the pick-up won't come loose from the pump. Before installing the pan, make sure that Moroso pan will fit a Corvette. I have the same one on my big block '69 Camaro and it has some kickouts for the extra volume, may be a clearance problem on your application/starter/bellhousing/transmission. Are you running a Lakewood bellhousing? I would if you plan on racing and high rpm clutch dumps.. :smash:

My opinion is to not use the floating piston pin set-up. They add no horsepower and you have 16 spiral locks to worry about coming loose and gouging the cylinder wall! The only advantage they give is for easy assembly and disassembly which happens alot on full race motors....not street motors.

I would have gone with the line honing as this may be a problem area if your block ever sustained a spun main bearing, the cap/saddle may have been deformed due to excessive heat.....just my opinions :chevy
Old 02-27-2002, 04:33 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Oil Pan Question? (Bob Jenkins)

BTW i was just reading in 'National Dragster' that Louvered windage trays reduce oil temps by like 20' and perform better than the screen types!

:cool: IF you have a choice....
Old 02-27-2002, 04:34 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Bob, did I tell you... YOUR CAR KICKS butt. I can't get over how nice it looks with the hardtop. :eek:
Old 02-27-2002, 04:39 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bence, don't you already have windage tray studs in your block? I don't think you can use them with an integral screen oil pan. They're for the stock type windage tray and pan (no screen or tray).

You definitely want the pickup that matches your pan, and you want it welded onto the pump.

-Joe
Old 02-27-2002, 04:48 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Default Re: Oil Pan Question? (427V8)

I have a Milodon "Diamond Stripper" windage tray, which looks a bit like the screen on a security door. It took a bit of fitting to get everything under a stock oil pan. I think the idea is that any turbulence caused by the crank spinning around won't kick up the oil pooled in the pan quite as easily. I have no idea whether the claims to improve horsepower are actually accurate.

Some pictures and descriptions can be found here:
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/windage1.html

-Noel

[Modified by Noel Carboni, 8:50 PM 2/27/2002]
Old 02-27-2002, 07:11 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Bob:
I'm going to do some research on oil pans and see what my options are. Yes, I have a Lakewood scatter-proof bellhousing waiting to be installed. I have heard that about the full-floating pin setup. However I could find anyone that it personally happened to. I already have the pistons and rods assembled....didn't the old L88s & LS6s run full-floater pistons? I know there is no power advantage but the ease of piston assembly is really nice :).

Keith:
Thanks for the heads-up....I'll keep that in mind :yesnod:.

Joe:
Yes, I have windage tray studs in my block. Looks like I'll be shopping for a different pan. I'm just glad that I'm finding out all of this information now before I purchase the items.

Noel:
I have heard good things about the Diamond Stripper. I will most likely be going with this windage tray.

Thanks for the help guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pan Question?

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Question?