C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Windsheild Washer - turning but not pumping fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 08:04 PM
LemonShark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 69 Windsheild Washer - turning but not pumping fluid

It seems that everything is turning and working like it should and the soleinoid engages when I press the button on the dash and I see the "plate" lift up that allows the white round gear turn - but the "plunger" won't go back and forth to get the fluid moving.

I don't have any good pictures to post, I'm wondering if there is a spring missing. There are two springs on the drivers side of the unit. I'm thinking of a third spring that keeps tension on the plunger.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-26-2002, 10:07 PM
andyg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 69 Windsheild Washer - turning but not pumping fluid (LemonShark)

I replaced mine last year. Out of the box the new one would not work to push fluid. Seems to me the gear was turning, but the plunder did not engage. There is a selenoid that gets pulled in to engage the pump. I found out the spring for the selenoid was a bit to tight. I pulled the spring out a bit to loosen and the system worked fine after that. I think I still have the old setup. I'll take a picture and mark up what I adjusted.

---Andy
Old 02-26-2002, 10:25 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Lemon-
If the piston ain't pumpin, the piston ain't movin. The piston is driven by a cam on the back side of pump from the wiper motor. Be sure the wipers are in park pos, remove the cap screws (and wires) holding pump to wiper motor. Remove it and check all actions and connections to figure what's malfunctioning. (you can rotate cam by hand to watch action) I've seen a few of these cams broken from age/fatigue. I believe that 'rebuild' kits are avail for these units. On reinstall, but a dab of grease on the cam & slot. Good Luck -Rod :chevy
Old 02-26-2002, 10:36 PM
andyg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a couple of pics. Sorry the first did not come out to well, but you can get the jist.

When 12 volts is applied to the selenoid by you pushing the button in the car, the cam lock lifts and the cam is free to be pulled by the turning center gear. This is all assuming the center gear is turning(It always turns as long as the wiper motor is engaged) and that 12 volts is making it to the selenoid. In my situation, I had a turning gear and voltage at the seleniod terminals, but the new spring was a bit to tight and the cam lock would not always release. I pulled the spring on the selenoid to streatch it a bit and all was well. You should be able to take the cover off and see what is happening. Like Rod said, I pulled mine and turned it by hand while applying 12 volts from a spare battery onto the selenoid terminals to test the new pump. From you post it sounds like the center gear is not turning. If this is the case as Rod said, check the pin on the motor to ensure it has engaged into the channel on the other side of the washer pump. Is the channel broken? Good Luck....

---Andy

[Modified by andyg, 8:37 PM 2/26/2002]
Old 02-27-2002, 07:12 PM
LemonShark
Advanced

Default Re: 69 Windsheild Washer - turning but not pumping fluid (andyg)

Thanks for the thoughts on what to look for. I'll look at it Thursday night and let you know> :cheers:

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Windsheild Washer - turning but not pumping fluid

Quick Reply: 69 Windsheild Washer - turning but not pumping fluid