C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 06:36 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions

Last night our street was hit! Got two car stereos. They wiped my window to see in then after seeing my POS 1982 radio /thank god! they did not break into my car. I am looking for an alarm. I want one w/o any door lock or anything fancy....however I do want one that has a proximity sensor so when someone even approaches the car it gives a warning then sets off. I found this pager system which would be really cool so I can know when my car is getting broken in and I can pull out my 44 and get some payback for the other times I have been ripped off! :mad It looks like this pager system is an alarm...but I have no clue as to how it knows what "aone" is being broken into. Any ideas or suggestions for an alarm?-Travis
Old 02-26-2002, 06:39 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (TJKirby82CE)

duh...got so pissed I did not include the link for the pager.http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-xyWhpa9mN5g/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=0&g=807&id=detailed_i nfo&i=041CM3000S
Old 02-26-2002, 06:47 PM
TONYS68L36
Drifting

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (TJKirby82CE)

I knew someone with one...it was pretty cool...the alarm worked well and he didnt have too many false alarms...I say go for it...
Old 02-26-2002, 07:13 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (TONYS68L36)

Found a plug in for the pager system, it is a MOTION SENSOR for outside and inside the car. So for 180 I can have the pager with a motion sensor, and no siren so the crooks will not even know they set the alarm off intell I have busted a cap in them! :reddevil
Old 02-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is what I'm going to do as well. I'm more worried about losing the whole car. As for retribution with the Uzi or attack dog or whatever, be sure and drag 'em in the house when your done, or it'll be your hind end in the pokey! If they "break in" to your home, you can shoot 'em, castrate 'em, pretty much anything goes, but do it outside and they'll hang 'ya fer sur :yesnod: .

Hans
Old 02-26-2002, 07:35 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (Wrencher)

so..how about a warning shot? Just for fun! :reddevil
Old 02-26-2002, 07:35 PM
TONYS68L36
Drifting

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (Wrencher)

This is what I'm going to do as well. I'm more worried about losing the whole car. As for retribution with the Uzi or attack dog or whatever, be sure and drag 'em in the house when your done, or it'll be your hind end in the pokey! If they "break in" to your home, you can shoot 'em, castrate 'em, pretty much anything goes, but do it outside and they'll hang 'ya fer sur :yesnod: .
Hans
Move to Texas..After dark anything goes(as far as protecting ones property).
Old 02-26-2002, 07:36 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's a clickable link. Don't want somebody to copy and paste causing them to lose their CF window. :lol:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...o&i=041CM3000S
Old 02-26-2002, 07:54 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (Dalannex)

They're a little vague about the range on these things. What's average range for these systems in the real world? Between the factory alarm, the pager and my chain, it might slow 'em down enough that they'll lose interest.

Hans
Old 02-26-2002, 08:51 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sent to me by my Dad (haven't checked it out yet):

The most important new auto technology is 125 miles high.

The SecuraTrak Pro is the next generation in vehicle security systems that enables real-time tracking, control and notification features by web, phone or pager.

The SecuraTrak Pro is a patent pending wireless tracking system that can locate anything, anytime, anyplace. It is revolutionizing the tracking industry by offering individuals and corporations the opportunity to track and manage vehicles.

The power of GPS. By using GPS, or Global Positioning System, SecuraTrak Pro provides real-time location of a vehicle for theft recovery, verification of location or information on the route followed by the vehicle. GPS uses 24 satellites that constantly orbit around the earth to pinpoint a location on an electronic map. The SecuraTrak Pro can locate upon lock of four satellites, and its accuracy is up to 60 inches of the actual location. SecuraTrak Pro users can track the location of any connected device via their phone, web browser, or web/WAP phone. The subscriber can also query the SecuraTrak database and request to see a “bread crumb trail,” or history of locations, over a specified period of time. Find out the location of your vehicle, spouse or teenager from the comfort of your home. The SecuraTrak Pro also allows for remotely interacting with a vehicle’s system to unlock or lock car doors. You can even honk the horn and can notify you when the car’s battery is low. It also allows for selecting a perimeter size, which draws a geo-fence that surrounds your personal property. If for any reason that boundary is violated, an automatic notification of this event is delivered over the wireless network to the responsible person.

State-of-the-art tracking system. When an event occurs, the status and location are transmitted to the SecuraTrak Network Operations Center and then to a user-designated phone number, or other means of communication the user desires. If the device loses power, alarm is triggered or if the geo-fence is crossed, an automatic notification is sent instantly to the user. The SecuraTrak Pro offers the complete package, including hardware and an online application. Included in the hardware are the GPS Chip, Cellular Communication’s Modem, Rechargeable Power Source, Hybrid GPS and Cellular Antenna and I/O Ports for Programming. SecuraTrak Pro also affords data privacy for consumers wary of divulging information to live operators.
Non-refundable activation fee $49 and basic monthly plan $9.95

This product is backed by our exclusive risk-free trial. If, for any reason, you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return the product within 30 days for a "No Questions Asked" refund of the purchase price (excluding shipping) or for a merchandise credit.

:smash:
Old 02-26-2002, 09:33 PM
Mikes80L48
Racer

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (rainman69)

Sent to me by my Dad (haven't checked it out yet):

The most important new auto technology is 125 miles high.

The SecuraTrak Pro is the next generation in vehicle security systems that enables real-time tracking, control and notification features by web, phone or pager.

The SecuraTrak Pro is a patent pending wireless tracking system that can locate anything, anytime, anyplace. It is revolutionizing the tracking industry by offering individuals and corporations the opportunity to track and manage vehicles.

The power of GPS. By using GPS, or Global Positioning System, SecuraTrak Pro provides real-time location of a vehicle for theft recovery, verification of location or information on the route followed by the vehicle. GPS uses 24 satellites that constantly orbit around the earth to pinpoint a location on an electronic map. The SecuraTrak Pro can locate upon lock of four satellites, and its accuracy is up to 60 inches of the actual location. SecuraTrak Pro users can track the location of any connected device via their phone, web browser, or web/WAP phone. The subscriber can also query the SecuraTrak database and request to see a “bread crumb trail,” or history of locations, over a specified period of time. Find out the location of your vehicle, spouse or teenager from the comfort of your home. The SecuraTrak Pro also allows for remotely interacting with a vehicle’s system to unlock or lock car doors. You can even honk the horn and can notify you when the car’s battery is low. It also allows for selecting a perimeter size, which draws a geo-fence that surrounds your personal property. If for any reason that boundary is violated, an automatic notification of this event is delivered over the wireless network to the responsible person.

State-of-the-art tracking system. When an event occurs, the status and location are transmitted to the SecuraTrak Network Operations Center and then to a user-designated phone number, or other means of communication the user desires. If the device loses power, alarm is triggered or if the geo-fence is crossed, an automatic notification is sent instantly to the user. The SecuraTrak Pro offers the complete package, including hardware and an online application. Included in the hardware are the GPS Chip, Cellular Communication’s Modem, Rechargeable Power Source, Hybrid GPS and Cellular Antenna and I/O Ports for Programming. SecuraTrak Pro also affords data privacy for consumers wary of divulging information to live operators.
Non-refundable activation fee $49 and basic monthly plan $9.95

This product is backed by our exclusive risk-free trial. If, for any reason, you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return the product within 30 days for a "No Questions Asked" refund of the purchase price (excluding shipping) or for a merchandise credit.

:smash:
Ahhh man, that is what my dad is putting on our Vette when I get my license!!
Old 02-26-2002, 09:57 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pager system looks nice. The inputs are analog. A negative trigger means that if you connect a wire to one of the pins and then arm the system, you can set off "trigger" the alarm by touching the other end of the wire to ground. This is the way the pins in the door jamb (not at the hinge), and on the trunk work...they simply ground the wire connected to it. A positive trigger means that touching the other end of the wire to a 12V source will trigger the alarm...for example when using the system with a vehicle that has only a dome light so that when the dome light comes on it triggers the alarm.

It should have good instructions. I have an Alpine alarms system which comes with a pager...kind of expensive...I think I paid $450 for the system and installed it myself...but it includes a starter cut-off as well as door and window controls, several accessory controls like remote starter, or CD changer.

It should also give you an LED...very important to warm theives away from your car. With my motion detector...the alarm would have trigger a pre-warn when they wiped my window off...I could set it for a silent alarm...so when I come out with my bazooka I can sneak up on them and toast them (as soon as they get away from my car).
Old 02-27-2002, 09:42 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (Rockn-Roll)

LoJack works
Old 02-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (Alwyn678)

So how do all of these systems work when the battery is cut and the flatbed arrives?

Many moons ago when I would park my Vette out of sight (never again) I had an "Ungo" box, Page Alert, 12 volt fired tear gas cannister (connected to the clutch) and a gel-pack "Battery Backup". This was a result of losing a 71 to the scum of the earth.

I tested it myself..... it worked. (I gassed myself)

It's all removed now, and I just use a baseball bat.

No more parking the Vette out of sight. Simple kill switch at night.

But I digress... back to the original question.... how do these systems handle a pro who cuts the battery and rolls the car away?
Old 02-27-2002, 10:49 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (Tom454)

So how do all of these systems work when the battery is cut and the flatbed arrives?

Many moons ago when I would park my Vette out of sight (never again) I had an "Ungo" box, Page Alert, 12 volt fired tear gas cannister (connected to the clutch) and a gel-pack "Battery Backup". This was a result of losing a 71 to the scum of the earth.

I tested it myself..... it worked. (I gassed myself)

It's all removed now, and I just use a baseball bat.

No more parking the Vette out of sight. Simple kill switch at night.

But I digress... back to the original question.... how do these systems handle a pro who cuts the battery and rolls the car away?
Why do u think I said Lojack.....So the police can track it....It works fine in ur scenario
Old 02-27-2002, 10:54 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (Alwyn678)

We just installed LoJack trackers in all of our patrol units (14) in the fleet I service. Talked to one of the Officers that had used it extensively before he came to us, and in CA we now have almost complete coverage. At $600.- it's a bit pricey, but he said the recovery rate is excellent. For those of you that aren't familiar with it, a GPS transmitter is mounted on your vehicle, and if it is stolen, it is activated (once you notify them of the theft). Any receiver (in the patrol units) within about 10-15 miles gets a signal with directional indicators to the transmitter. So you get multiple units converging on it. The best part is the cops love it. It's like a game of cat and mouse and they have the receivers on all the time, 24/7. Oh, and they're self powered, requiring a battery change once a year. I'm getting one...

Hans
Hans
Old 02-27-2002, 11:03 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

"Why do u think I said Lojack.....So the police can track it....It works fine in ur scenario"

I have no clue why you said Lojack...

Does Lojack include a battery backup?

No transmitter can work without a power source.

So... edukate me...

Get notified of new replies

To street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions

Old 02-27-2002, 11:22 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Default Re: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions (Tom454)

"Why do u think I said Lojack.....So the police can track it....It works fine in ur scenario"

I have no clue why you said Lojack...

Does Lojack include a battery backup?

No transmitter can work without a power source.

So... edukate me...

For those of you that aren't familiar with it, a GPS transmitter is mounted on your vehicle, and if it is stolen, it is activated (once you notify them of the theft). Any receiver (in the patrol units) within about 10-15 miles gets a signal with directional indicators to the transmitter. So you get multiple units converging on it. The best part is the cops love it. It's like a game of cat and mouse and they have the receivers on all the time, 24/7. Oh, and they're self powered, requiring a battery change once a year. I'm getting one..

.I like his explanation
Old 02-27-2002, 11:51 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

I would assume most alarms would have some sort of battery backup for a short period of time..... but I have no experience with alarms. If someone wants the car bad engouh, they will get it. I ignore car alarms all of the time nowadays. too many people have them and too many people have them set too sensitive.

I would love to have a Lojack system but none of my vehicles justify the expense... yet... wait until the vette gets done....

I'm like Tom though, the vette very rarely gets out of my sight when its not in the garage.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:55 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Clifford makes a system very similar to what you guys are talking about. At the same time you can be pro active about it and call a 1-800 number and type in a code. in result the Car can be de activated no matter where it is. It is also self contained so that when you cut the battery it will automatically lock the car up. Second. they have those REALLY ANNOYING proximity sensors with the most annoying sound in the world installed so it would make you go insane if your like within ten feet of it.

I hear the same sound on alot of imports. I am sure if you think about it you have too. They sound like no other alarm just a extreemly loud "EEEEEEEEHHHHHHH!!!" it makes me jump even if I am expecting it.

well thats my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: street hit last night...Pager car alarm...check it out/opinions