C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADVICE: '82 Bumper Covers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 05:09 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default ADVICE: '82 Bumper Covers

I need a quick bit of advice from the non- steel bumper ( :D ) crowd. One of my co-workers has a nice '82 daily driver that she wants to have re-painted, and replace the original bumpers at the same time. Her car's bumpers are showing the normal signs of age (fading, wavy, curling edges, etc.). She's leaning toward fiberglass and I would like to hear any pros and cons of the 2 types available. Corvette Express here in NorCal can do either one for her. Thanks in advance,

Hans
Old 02-26-2002, 05:27 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: ADVICE: '82 Bumper Covers (Wrencher)

All the discussion I've seen on this board recently and also of my own experience about this subject is it seems Eckler's, while not the cheapest, seems to be the "better" fitting bumpers. Supposedly, they bought the "original" molds from GM, so they should be good!!! I bought TrueFlex front and rear bumpers for my '75 and installed them last winter. They fit and came out very good, not perfect, but good. Others here on the board, especially with the '80-'82 TrueFlex front have not had as good of luck. These non-GM bumpers too can create alot of extra work, meaning extra bodyshop hours(to read $$$$$)if one does'nt do the work themselves. If the bumpers DO NOT APPEAR to be age cracked, they could be repainted and live with the "waviness". As long as some paint was saved, different bumpers down the road could be changed out and painted if and when the time comes. I've never priced original GM urethane bumpers for these cars, and I don't even know if they're available still, but even with these, they too will get "wavy".
Old 02-26-2002, 05:56 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: ADVICE: '82 Bumper Covers (Paul Borowski)

Pauls right....Eckler's is the way to go. I have both front and rear Flex-Fit bumpers. See pics. I originally ordered Tru-Flex and returned the defective pieces of sh**. Man, we should get a forum discount for all the times I recomended these things :D Good Luck, L8TER, Paul.

Get notified of new replies

To ADVICE: '82 Bumper Covers

Quick Reply: ADVICE: '82 Bumper Covers