C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Cut-outs

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 02:33 AM
Prufrock17
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Cut-outs

I have welded a pair of cut-outs directly behind a pair of Doug Thorley headers. It's amazing how LOUD (and sometimes fun) open headers can be. I'll have people lookin for me (they can hear me) before I'm even near them. Anyway, how "safe" is it to run uncorked. I've heard that the cold air can run back up open headers and crack a head (which is a big concern since I have aluminum heads). I've always heard that open headers reduces torque, but increases high RPM HP due to loss of back pressure. Any help would be great!!
Old 02-26-2002, 12:38 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Question about Cut-outs (Prufrock17)

"I've heard that the cold air can run back up open headers and crack a head "

I was told this about running open manifolds. Not sure about headers though. I know my brother ran open headers in his '55 Chevy SBC quite a bit with no problems. Are they long tube headers?

"I've always heard that open headers reduces torque, but increases high RPM HP due to loss of back pressure"

Heard the same, and will say that my car couldn't get out of its own way from a stop when I had open manifolds. Again, I'm not sure that'd be a big problem with long tube headers.

Anyway, you're back TTT, so those with header experience may have something to add.

[Modified by jerryp58, 11:39 AM 2/26/2002]
Old 02-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyway, how "safe" is it to run uncorked. I've heard that the cold air can run back up open headers and crack a head (which is a big concern since I have aluminum heads). I've always heard that open headers reduces torque, but increases high RPM HP due to loss of back pressure. Any help would be great!!
I doubt if cold air would be a problem as it wouldn't stay cold for long!. Look at all of the top fuel dragsters that have zoomies (no collectors).

Santa Clarita is a great town. I travel there on business about 4 times a year and I stay at the Hyatt. I enjoy Santa Clarita and Valencia. :cheers:
Old 02-26-2002, 03:15 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

We used to weld a pipe nipple on to the exhaust pipes, under the car on each side where you would have normally connected lakes pipes. A pipe cap was used to close the cut out and you could take it off with your hand (and a rag to keep from getting burned). We ran them opened for days at a time and didn't have a bit of problems.... Except tickets for excessive noise. :yesnod:
Old 02-26-2002, 03:42 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Question about Cut-outs (Neo Fender)

I mocked up an engine real quick in Desktop Dyno 2000. The only changes I made between the two tests were open small tube headers vs. small tube headers with mufflers. The results are surprising.

Old 02-26-2002, 03:54 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Question about Cut-outs (Stingy74)

Stingy, you can put those "engines on one graph, you know. :cheers:
Old 02-26-2002, 03:57 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Question about Cut-outs (MikeC)

I'm pretty new to DD2000, so i've only seen the tip of the iceberg. I'll have to play around with it. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Cut-outs

Quick Reply: Question about Cut-outs