C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do it yourself Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 01:33 AM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do it yourself Alignment

My rear left wheel is starting to squeak, it's not a U-Joint, so I guess it's time to replace the bearings, when I do this I guess I have to re-align the rear wheels, is this something that can be done at home, are there any special tools required?
Old 02-26-2002, 01:55 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Default Re: Do it yourself Alignment (Ben Taylor)

If it truly is a bearing and it went bad AFTER your last alignment, replacing it will get you real close. Close enough to drive it to a shop for the dial in.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:08 AM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Do it yourself Alignment (Aerovette)

I've set the alignment on my car by myself about a hundred times. But I always make the final adjustments on an alignment rack. A very good friend used to be assistant manager at a Midas Muffler and I had acess to the shop on Sunday's and what not.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:39 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

There is a link to "do it yourself" alignment. I've done it on other cars, but not on the Corvette yet.
http://www.vettenet.org/align.html

Check with your local Corvette club too about places that know how to do a proper 4 wheel alignment and will take the time to do it correctly.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:38 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a squeaking, scraping sound that I thought was a half shaft U-Joint.(last week) I took out the half shafts and one U-joint was obviously bad but I also discovered a lot of play in the differential side yokes. There should be almost no play . One flange was rubbing the diff. case as was one U-bolt. This was the noise source. I just got everthing apart last night and BOTH yokes were worn within a few thousanths of the snap ring. When replacing U-joints, alwys check the end play of the yokes. :chevy

[Modified by silvervetteman, 4:39 AM 2/26/2002]
Old 02-26-2002, 07:59 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Do it yourself Alignment (silvervetteman)

What all do you have to do to remove/replace the side yokes? I know mine are worn, but just did not want to get into the diff. yet. Do you have to take apart the diff to replace the yokes?

Regards,

Jim
Old 02-26-2002, 08:40 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Do it yourself Alignment (Jim73)

You have to drop the rear end to get the cover off. As for a home alignment I bought the Howl gage that magnetically goes on the end of the spindle and for toe I use a laser level.
Last night I took 2 6 foot angle irons and clamped them to my front rotors, these rotors have been dialed in to only a few thousands run out and checked the toe and it was 1/8th over that distance. I also set the rear with a laser level and tonight I will try checking with the 6 foot angle irons .
Camber and caster are easy with the gage.
After 2 alignments at reprable shops I decided to do it myself. Summit sells the gage for I think $129.
Alignment guys also want to test drive the car after alignment and get upset when you go with them.
So be it. When I was young and niave an alignment guy took my 428 tunnel rammed cobra for a test drive and told me I had a miss at 7000. Never again
Old 02-26-2002, 08:40 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

If you are into doing repairs yourself I've found the Van Steel suspension video to be $20 well spent. Covers do it yourself alignments also, enough to get to the aligment shop.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:31 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The yokes on the diff. are held inside by "C" clips. Only was is open the carrier pull the rod and the C clips. Messy job.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:50 AM
jvm
Racer

Default Re: Do it yourself Alignment (silvervetteman)

I had the same problem on my 79. the yokes were worn almost back to the clips. put new yokes in and still had .040-.045 play in them. The differential was worn inside where the clips rest against. Solution was to grind the c-clip groove wider and in the right place and put in 2 Smalley wound clips (part number WSM-112) http://www.smalley.com This took up the slop. I haven't run this yet . The Smalley rings are rated at a higher strenght than the simple c- cilp. If my wife would leave me alone I could get this back together and try it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Do it yourself Alignment

Quick Reply: Do it yourself Alignment