C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when no car title is available?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 12:39 AM
Marc01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default What happens when no car title is available?

I'm looking for a C3 to restore and came upon a '76. It says 'has registration, but no title'. So what does that mean for me? Does it mean I can only use it for parts? Does it just mean that I can't trace the history? Or does it just mean that the title transfer place will have to print up a new one?

Marc
Old 02-26-2002, 02:34 AM
slide
Racer

Default Re: What happens when no car title is available? (marcfouchi)

I don't know about your state but here in Pa if the owner of the car dosen't have the title, (lost it or whatever) they can go to the dept of motor vehicles and have a copy made. There is a form the owner has to fill out and you can get this form from a notary or at the dept. of motor vehicles. I believe there is a cost involved for the duplicate title, it use to be 10.00 but I think it's about 35.00 now.
Slide
Old 02-26-2002, 09:21 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

I would find out exactly what is meant by "no title". If the car is indeed legally titled and the owner lost the paper, then the DMV will have the info to print a new one.

I have seen cars for sale with the "no title" line, and what you really find out after asking is, that it had been salvaged and that the title is so marked, but the seller still wants top $$ for the car so he's hoping that with current registration you will think everything is ok, until you get to the DMV of course....

Be careful.

[Modified by KenSny, 8:22 AM 2/26/2002]
Old 02-26-2002, 09:54 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Becareful I bought a 78 Firebird once, he said I don`t know where the title is but you can get another. Well the car had a lien on it :eek: I would have had to pay that off to get the title. :mad :mad I ended up useing the car as a parts car. That is not what I had intended on doing though. Just becareful. Make sure the title was not salvaged, totalled, or has a lien on it. Unless you are looking for a parts car.
BTW is this a Red 76 on onlinetrader.com and is it the one in FL ? If so I would pass on that car. Keep looking there are better cars out there.

Bob
Old 02-26-2002, 10:18 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: What happens when no car title is available? (76 Red)

No title may mean stolen.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:51 AM
81VETTOM
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Re: What happens when no car title is available? (Ganey)

When i bought mine, guy said the title hadn't been transferred when he bought it. Guess he didn't want to pay tax on it, or it was a drug seize car. I did run the title and it was clean. But I got a survivor, low mile and original, but not perfect. It's been costing me ever since, but worth it.... :smash:
Old 02-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: What happens when no car title is available? (81VETTOM)

This may or may not apply to your situation.

The 72 I bought was from Rhode Island which was a no-title state. The car had no title and it was no problem whatsoever bringing it into Texas. There was a form that had to be signed by each party that was available from DOT Rhode Island.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:30 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What happens when no car title is available? (Milest)

There is a guy on the forum that bought a vette with a sate issues Title....... Last I heard the previous owner took him to court to get the car back(he had the original title) and lost but won the appeal. So the poor guy was going to lose the vette.... I haven't seen him on the site since and I don't remember his name.

With that in mind, I would be very careful!
Old 02-26-2002, 11:40 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

>>I'm looking for a C3 to restore and came upon a '76. It says 'has registration,
>>but no title'. So what does that mean for me? Does it mean I can
>> only use it for parts? Does it just mean that I can't trace the history?
>>Or does it just mean that the title transfer place will have to print up a
>>new one?

I bought my 68 Vette in Connecticut. The guy told had no title for the car. He told me that in Connecticut you don't need a title for a car older than 20? years. I thought that he was :bs me and told him that I would only buy the car if he would present me a valid title.
As it turned out - he actually was right. Connecticut doesn't issue titles for cars at a certain age and I could get a Florida Title for the car without any problems. However - it took the lady at the Tag agency quite some time to look up Connecticut law to confirm that the registration can be used instead of a title.

Olivier
Old 02-26-2002, 11:40 AM
Marc01
Racer

St. Jude Contributor

ACK! :nonod: Doesn't sound like anything I wanna touch! Thanks for all the input.
The only time I would try that is if I had some connection to the guy.

Ah well, so I continue the search...

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To What happens when no car title is available?

Quick Reply: What happens when no car title is available?