C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Sad Story Of Woe (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 06:34 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My Sad Story Of Woe (long)

Let me begin by stating that I am not a mechanical moron, and have had previous mech expierence with cars and hot rodding (70's). I am a maintenance mechanic/carpenter by trade (25yrs).
Winter set in up in northern Illinois, and up on stands my new prize (owned for 3 months) went to clean, replace, fix up etc. Poly rear spring bush, poly stablizr bush, new stablizr cam hardware, shocks, clean & paint tire tub. All went well with minor obstacles. Then I moved up front..oh god, what a mistake. New sway bar links and poly bush went well. Clean and paint leaky trans pan..fine. Clean & paint air cleaner and valve covers..fine. Then, the simple task of pulling the oil pan has created a mess that has turned me into a screaming, swearing, wrench throwing wildman. To pull the pan, I Had to drop the exhaust..rusted solid studs broke..cut em. Crossover would not budge..cut it out. Exhaust manifolds have to come out to remove old studs..rusted bolt broke inside the head. (still there) Gently drill and tap manifolds for new stainless studs..broke the flange on both!! 1 piece Felpro pan gasket took me 2 hrs to install. Didn't get the "clips" everyone talks about to hold it up in place..not a fun job at all. Rear main seal went quick..whew. Tell me guys..when does it get better? When is it gonna be fun? When is all my time and money going to make me smile again? This car will probably not be on the road till fall of 02. Please..you military guys, ship me 1lb of C4 so I can put myself out of my misery... :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad
Thanks for listening to me vent...Anyone wanna tow a car away?? "CHEAP"!
Old 02-25-2002, 06:46 PM
KENTUCKY81
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My Sad Story Of Woe (Silvr77)

I've been breakin stuff for three years now. I'm not sure it gets better, just less painfull when you know its comin. Actually, I think if I started working on mine and some kind of problem didn't happen that created the need for more(you know more... more exhaust, more intake, more bushings, more springs, more seat covers... more) I would be disappointed. :smash:

[Modified by KENTUCKY81, 5:47 PM 2/25/2002]
Old 02-25-2002, 07:32 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try changing the pos. battery cable, and while your at it, take a crack at the vacuum system. This will make the other stuff seem easy in comparison. :jester Seriously though, as bad as it seems, it is always worth it once the job is done and you have it out on the road. It's the nightmare projects like this that help me to appreciate the car that much more. All of the hard work will give you a well deserved sense of pride when the work is finally done right.
My latest(and still ongoing) project was/is frustrating too. A simple heater core change. Now what could possibly go wrong with a job a simple as this???? Well, I replaced the old one that had a very small leak with a brand new Modine. Got it in there after replacing all of the rubber and foam seals in the heater box. Fired the car up and let it warm up. I looked in the car a few minutes later and saw a constant stream of water coming from the heater box :cuss I spent yesterday removing the brand new heater core and trying to get the quart or two of antifreeze from my carpet and padding. Now I just forked out another $25 to repair the new heater core and if I have any energy left when I get home, I may try it again tonight. I could have just sent the defective one back, but then the car would sit for another week durring some of the most beautiful Feb weather I've seen in years(70deg today).

Hang in there. It will get better eventually.

Tom :cheers:
Old 02-25-2002, 07:40 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Silvr77, "Welcome To The Wonderful World Of RustBelt Corvettes"!!! Been doing those kinda things you've mentioned the last 14yrs. Yeah, theres times I've been supermad over some of this stuff(rusted brake lines, broken studs, broken shock bolts, rusted out e-brake hardware, rusted radiatorcore supports, etc). After awhile, after you get everything in shape, you tend to forget it OR just accept it. That's why having a "California clean" Corvette, Muscle car, etc is the ultimate!!! I've seen underneath those cars plus like "Arizona" cars where it looks like you could take the body off the frame with an "open end" wrench. My most valueable wrench has two bottles, one oxygen, the other acetylene!!! Priceless :lol:
Old 02-25-2002, 09:07 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Ok, so you had some rough times lately, I assure you it WILL GET BETTER! I've had mine for almost ten years now, and the man from Kentucky said it best. It will get better. You just have to concentrate on getting past these one battle. There are lots of things that will drive you crazy, heck some of the simplist things have turned into a crazy swearing fit for me. but it gets better. Just today I had the Vette out and some women said to me, "That's the cleanest Corvette I've ever seen" so it does pay off in the end.
:eek:
Old 02-25-2002, 09:15 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

on my headers here I haven't bothered, but on any cast iron exhaust system, it's allways reassembled with stainless bolts, would not have it any other way...lubricate with RTV on assembly and never fight it again...
the manifolds can be welded, no sweat...pain in the butt though....

GENE
Old 02-26-2002, 12:17 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: My Sad Story Of Woe (mrvette)

get a beer, take a break, try again tomorrow. Just like I'm doing! Believe me... the car can wait until your ready.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:16 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Buy stock in the company that makes Liquid Wrench. When you plan to do a job next week, spray the hardware every time that you pass the car. It'll be messy but everthing should come loose.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:53 AM
rjs82vette
Racer

I thought that was the fun part??????
Old 02-26-2002, 11:23 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: My Sad Story Of Woe (rjs82vette)

It'll be "fun" when I come down to give you a ride in "moving vette" !!

no more "vroom vroom" runs to the Virtual Drive-In !!

:seeya
Old 02-26-2002, 11:31 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: My Sad Story Of Woe (Carl in LA)

get a beer, take a break, try again tomorrow. Just like I'm doing! Believe me... the car can wait until your ready.

In Fact have 2 for me....and yes there is ALWAYS something to do...That is part of the JOY :cheers: :D
Old 02-26-2002, 01:02 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My winter project ( 1 ) was to replace the tach cable --- did ya know that once you start that job, all kinds of bad things happen ... to the point where ... right now the car has no windshield, no dash pads ( none ) no interior basically ... and I'm thinking about a new wiring harness ... all because my tach cable housing was freyed ... should been about $50.00 --- will now be 30 times that... :cheers:
Old 02-26-2002, 02:16 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, and sharing your "nightmare" stories. I tend to forget that I am not the only "oarsman" on this ship called classic car restoration. Your responses, and half a fifth of Captain Morgan later... I feel better again. :crazy: :D :crazy: :D :crazy: :D :crazy: :D

Get notified of new replies

To My Sad Story Of Woe (long)

Quick Reply: My Sad Story Of Woe (long)