C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clag in cooling system.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 07:32 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clag in cooling system.

Hi,
Just curious about this. I took my manifold off & the 1st thing I found was a load of blueish white crystals in the t/stat housing. After getting the manifold off I found that both rear waterways in the heads were completely blocked with the same sort of stuff. This obviously won't help things, so I spent a happy afternoon cleaning it all out. What I'd like to know is what causes this?
TIA
Paul
Old 02-25-2002, 03:52 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clag in cooling system. (UKPaul)

Don't know what the stuff you found is, but check your intake manifold, are you sure you have water passages through the intake where these rear water passages in the head are? I might be mis-remembering, but seems like some manifolds are that way.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:04 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Are you using hard water? May be calcium deposits.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:16 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Paul, my water passages were plugged also, but it was rusty mud looking mung! The crystal stuff sounds as if someone might have tried some sort of sealer at some time in the past.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:10 PM
VettePaul
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul. Had the same stuff in mine also. :confused: Damned if I know what it is ! Paul.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:26 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Clag in cooling system. (Smokehouse69)

The blue threw me off. Sounds like Bar's (or other) rad seal. Tends to gum up the cooling system.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:18 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Clag in cooling system. (paul79)

Thanks for the replies.
John: Yes, there are no waterways through the manifold at the rear. I should have been a bit more descriptive! What I'm wondering about is what is causing this stuff, as it isn't going to do any good if lumps fall off & start getting pumped through the rad.

Paul79 & Smokehouse: Excellent point! It could be RadWeld or something similar as I just had to have the rad re-cored, so the previous owner might have been dumping gallons of the stuff in for all I know. Don't think it's calcium deposits as, even though some bits are the right colour for calcium salts, it feels a bit to soft (it's just like the stuff that is found in the filter of a washing machine).

Paul: Maybe it's something that they're adding to our water :eek: (could be another crazy EU directive - they haven't been able to legislate or price old cars off of the roads, so maybe they're trying a different approach in clogging up the cooling systems)? Think I'll give up water & just drink beer (for medicinal purposes) :lol:

I'll flush the system out & check again for these strange crystals in a few months time.
Thanks
Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Clag in cooling system.

Quick Reply: Clag in cooling system.