C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lars woke up my sleeping big block!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 11:19 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Lars woke up my sleeping big block!!!

Finally put on my re-jetted and "tweaked" Quadrajet that Lars did for me over the holidays. This is on a '69, 4-spd., L-36 (427/390)w/3:36 gears, a basically stock ragtop.

Since I have owned the car (1&1/2 years), before and after it's recent rebuild I never felt it was running up to it's true potential. I even bought a "Stage II" quadrajet w/ the electric choke from the Carb Shop in Calif. Better, but no major improvement. Sent it off to Lars and it's like a different car now. Increase in power is huge! Must have added (or uncovered perhaps) at least 75 hp (my seat of the pants opinion).

It's been said before, but I must say it again, "Thanks Lars, YOU are 'da man!!!"

Regards, Mark :chevy
Old 02-24-2002, 11:33 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Lars woke up my sleeping big block!!! (marky mark)

Hey! I want one of those!! :) What jets/rods do you have? MJ
Old 02-24-2002, 11:42 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Mark -
It's always fun to hear that the parts end up running well! I just love how good these carbs run with a nice, basic setup on them. I probably have about as much fun test-running the carbs on my car before I ship them out as you do once you get them! One of these days I'm gonna get busted while dialing in a Forum carb.... :D
Old 02-24-2002, 11:45 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Hey Mark -
Didn't we do two carbs for you...? Which carb is it that you're running? I can give MNJack the recipe if you let me know which one you have set up on the car now...
Old 02-24-2002, 11:48 PM
rambler323
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lars woke up my sleeping big block!!! (lars)

lars...i'm not really familiar with collector cars in general, but it would be my guess that an 80 pinto really isn't one...even with two tone paint... so is that a joke or are those things really collectible or what?
Old 02-25-2002, 12:18 AM
gerry c
Racer

Default Re: Lars woke up my sleeping big block!!! (lars)

Mark -
I probably have about as much fun test-running the carbs on my car before I ship them out as you do once you get them! One of these days I'm gonna get busted while dialing in a Forum carb....
'80 Ford Pinto (with factory 2-tone paint it's a collector!)
:D
I guess that Pinto gets a good workout testing theese carbs :crazy:
Honestly now, which car do you test run the carbs on? Can you tune a carb pretty close on a different engine? If so, I am have a couple of Q-jets off two of my '73 Buick 455's for you to look at. (for money of course).

Now about the Pinto..... With the number of them left it will soon be a collector car if it is not already. There are not that many around anymore. :cheers: In my opinion, any nice car over twenty years old is a collector car. Is your Pinto the V-6? My ex bought a v-6 new in '77 (it was her choice.... I bought myself a v-8 Monza that I still have). The go pedal on the Pinto only seemed to make the car go faster about halfway, the second half only made it LOUDER :D

[Modified by gerry c, 8:21 PM 2/24/2002]
Old 02-25-2002, 12:26 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Lars woke up my sleeping big block!!! (gerry c)

Now about the Pinto..... With the number of them left it will soon be a collector car if it is not already.
We had a mint Pinto show up at one of our local cruise nights recently, not my choice of cars but I was surprised of it's excellent condition. The guy had all the extras with it too, shop manual, owners manual, etc. It was that nasty green color with tan interior. It was in such good shape he got a trophy for it.

Lars- are you able to tune up HEI distributors yet?
Old 02-25-2002, 12:26 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Lars woke up my sleeping big block!!! (rambler323)

Rambler, I had one of my first sexual experiences in the back seat of a Pinto. You had to kind of be a contortionist...Ahh, to be young again!! Ha,Ha.

Lars, the one I'm running is the 1980's truck carb w/the electric choke. The Edelbrock 1901 just never ran real strong. This is evidenced by all the posts on those carbs having no "oomph". Perhaps it's a design flaw.

Anyway, you had to change out almost everything as the truck carb was a Calif. model, w/ a very lean set-up.

Here's what the paper you sent me says:

Carb # 17080506. Application: 1980 Chev 350 Truck.

Main Jet size 74 (no headers). Main Metering Rod size 45

Secondary Metering Rod Code: BG. Float level set to: .420

Idle mixture screws set at 5&1/2 turns out.

You also mentioned the truck carbs don't have the "power tips" as used in cars. So you found a set of, I believe 26(mm?) and installed them. That might have been the missing ingedient because this thing romps now!!!

Thanks, Lars. Hope to meet you in person someday!!!

Regards, Mark

:flag :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Lars woke up my sleeping big block!!!

Quick Reply: Lars woke up my sleeping big block!!!