C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 10:29 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild Questions

Newbie question here we go...Looking to find a good rebuilder in the Milwaukee area, any suggestions appreciated. Would like to do some minor, (read not too expensive) upgrades while doing the rebuild. What is the best way to get a few extra ponies. Where/how do i find out what elements work well with others, what is a good setup up etc. as far as intake, cam, etc. Would like to spend 3k or less for the project, is this possible. What can i expect for this? Need a start as to what i should be researching to educate myself about the project. Thanks in advance.
BTW 73 190hp almost completely stock

[Modified by dollagreen, 8:33 PM 2/24/2002]
Old 02-24-2002, 10:48 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: Rebuild Questions (dollagreen)

The cheapest way to get "more ponies" is a cam swap. As to the rest, it depends on what condition your engine is in and what you want to do with it. It's reasonable to get a rebuild for significantly less than $3k if not much needs to be done. You can get a basic bottom end rebuild kit (new pistons and rings, main/rod/cam bearings, gaskets, freeze plugs, timing gears/chain, cam, lifters, and oil pump) for $200-300. That and labor to put it all in should run less than $1500.

But if you start getting into boring the block, fixing cracked heads, grinding cranks, new rods, valve job, etc., etc., it adds up pretty quick. I don't live around Milwaukee, but your best bet is to find a trustworthy machinist/engine builder and tell him what you want to do.

If you like trying different combinations of components, you can get a desktop dyno program for around $40 and see what different things will do for you. Just remember that if you're going to drive it on the street, low end torque is more important than high end horsepower. You'll be doing most of your street driving between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. If you build a super hot motor that puts out a bazillion horses at 6,000 rpm, it probably won't be able to get out of its own way at 3,000.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:44 AM
gerry c
Racer

Unless you have to have the same block in your car, you might want to check into some of the crate engines out there. For about $1500 or so, you can get a GM Goodwrenh engine rated at 240 HP, I believe. That is a BRAND NEW engine complete except for intake and oil pan with four bolt mains. You could have a higher performance cam and an intake and installed for less than 3K and if your old engine is numbers matching store it in your garage for when it is time to sell. And if you are now numbers matching, it will save the original engine for someone else who might cae if you do not. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Old 02-25-2002, 12:51 AM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to NVR Racing 5161 N. 124th St. Butler, WI 53007 (262) 781-5252
Talk to Tom Nickerson. Great guy to work with. Will be very straight forward as to what you get versus what you spend.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:27 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Default Re: Rebuild Questions (Pete79L82)

thanks, im going to give him a call today.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:08 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

I talked with the guy from NVR. He quoted me about $2500-3000 for a basic rebuild. He includes stainless valves in his package and other upgrades he does for vets. Does this sound right. Also he would put me in contact with another guy that would pull the motor and put it back in for $500. Does this sound ok, bad, good??? Then if I wanted upgrades he basically does them in $500 incriments, the first one being a cam/porting combo. Good for about 50 horses he says. Any comments, suggestions.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:03 AM
JK78SA
Instructor

You may want to talk to Dave Schroeder at Automotive Engine Rebuilders on Arcadian Ave in Waukesha, phone # 521-2250. He helped me with my rebuild 2 years ago. He may also recommend to you, going with a crate motor w/ a few modifications. I didn't go with the crate motor because of the emmission laws that are in effect for '78's (cat. convertor, efe, egr, etc.). With a '73 you don't have to worry about most of that stuff.
He is a very honest individual and is also a Corvette guy. A mechanic friend of mine had over 200 engines/heads machined by him over a 8 year period when he was in the auto service business and never had a problem with his work at all. The amazing part of my experience was that everything he recommended agreed with most of the recommendations I received from the Forum members. When you are spending that kind of money, it's nice to have some additional confirmation that you are spending your hard earned dollars the right way.

If you are interested in any of the details of my rebuild project , feel free to e-mail me at jkrechel@aol.com.

John
Old 02-26-2002, 11:06 AM
DollaGreen
Pro

Default Re: Rebuild Questions (JK78SA)

Thanks John, I would like to get to a few different opinions. Anyone else have a guy they have used near milwaukee??? :smash:
Old 02-26-2002, 11:15 AM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put your original engine away and buy a crate engine. The GM crate engines come with full warranties and GM has a no hassle return policy. I have had problems with reputable machine shops and I know people who have also had problems. If you have any problems with your rebuild the shop will claim that it was your fault or just not their fault. If you have a problem with the GM crate engine the dealer will take it back and give you a new one. You can buy a 300hp engine for about 2000.00
Old 02-26-2002, 01:51 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree that you should look at GM crate motor, especially the HO 350, which has the vortec heads and 330 HP. A pretty darn good buy for the $, plus a warranty. You total cost, installed, should come real close to your $3,000 maximum target figure.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuild Questions

Quick Reply: Rebuild Questions