C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging Jim Shea

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 08:58 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Paging Jim Shea

Jim,
Will rebuilding the front suspension of my car, I noticed a small drip of fluid coming from the power steering control valve. Does this mean it's time to rebuild it? It's dripping by the zert fitting. Is this a no brainer rebuild or do I need special tools?
Also remember I'm running the late model 88 vette pump with great success. I guess it would be successful without the leak. O' well I guess it was the missing link(leak) finder.
Thanks
Budman
Old 02-25-2002, 01:12 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Paging Jim Shea (Budman78)

You might try just adding a little grease at the zerk fitting. I have never understood how this should fix a leak but there have been several postings where people have said that it stopped a control valve leak. It wouldn't hurt to try it first.

The control valve is not real difficult to rebuild. As you take the valve apart, pay careful attention as to the orientation of the seals and the order that the parts go together. The Chevrolet Overhaul Manual has some fairly complete information on rebuilding. I also have posted a sketch on http://www.corvettefaq.com that shows the seals installed in the valve. It's entitled Control Valve Sliding Seals - Pic 3.

Vette Brakes and Products advertises that they will rebuild your valve and offer a 5 year warranty. They also can rebuild the valve with a stronger spring to increase effort and possibly give additional road feel.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:26 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Paging Jim Shea (Jim Shea)

JIMMY JIMMY JIMMY SHEA! WE'RE CALLING JIMMY!

lol, You have a famous name now!! Congrats!

(For anyone confused, it's a SprintPCS commercial with the skeleton racer Jimmy Shea)

[Modified by Steve Straus, 12:26 AM 2/25/2002]
Old 02-25-2002, 08:26 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Paging Jim Shea (Steve Straus)

Must be my long lost cousin with a lot taller genes than this side of the family. It was great watching his enthusiasm and family spirit.

Jim Shea
Old 02-25-2002, 11:12 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Paging Jim Shea (Jim Shea)

Thanks, I think I would rather rebuild, since it is very easy to get to right now. Oh yea, congrats on the Gold medal. I'll save the link.

Get notified of new replies

To Paging Jim Shea

Quick Reply: Paging Jim Shea