C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L-36 intake going on LS-4

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 08:26 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L-36 intake going on LS-4

Well I'm just about ready to bolt it on, what a weight difference in intakes probably 20-30lbs. Found one catch already for those considering this swap with an LS-4, the divorced choke spring assembly won't bolt up, so I'm going to have to get one for a 68' oh well minor setback. Will get back to everyone with my progress.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 02-25-2002, 12:40 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: L-36 intake going on LS-4 (73 LS-4)

Pat, I'm using the same intake on my 427. but I wanted to use an electric choke, so I had the intake "converted" (welded shut the little holes for the divorced choke). Also welded the exhaust crossover holes that come up under the front of the carb. Although if you use the intake gasket that blocks off the passageways that may be overkill.

I like the set-up. The electic choke seems to work pretty well.

It is a good looking intake. Just don't expect much "flow" over 5300 or so rpm.

Regards, Mark :flag :chevy
Old 02-26-2002, 03:53 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Well here's the update. It's on and running, the 68E L-36 intake is deffinitly a little taller then the LS-4 model which deffinitly couldn't hurt, hood closes fine for those that may have been wondering, with the stock cowl induction setup in place. You may have to move the fuel line a little bit from the stock location as the heater hose and it are now in very close proximity. I had to put a few washers under my distributor hold down bolt, I'm guessing the L-36 bolt in this location was shorter then my LS-4 bolt since this section is raised slightly higher on the LS-4 intake, Also had to do the same for the coil bracket, but couldn't tell a difference between the two intakes in this reguard as to why :confused: . I used ARP intake bolts and the fel-pro gaskets with the crossover blocked off (well see if this was a good or bad idea later :rolleyes: ), I orderd the choke assembly for a 68 L-36 so hopefully it will work, or can be made to work with the 73 Quad, albeit with the crossover blocked of I don't know what will happen here, but I'm sure I'll figure something out when it arrives. Once warmed up (takes a little longer with this intake, or maybe it's mostly due to the crossover blocked off), the engine does seem to be a little more responsive at least in the garage, couldn't test drive becouse it snowed, and big blocks in the snow are a bad idea, especially with wide tires :yesnod: Will let everyone know driving impressions once the weather breaks and the roads are dry. I did do a little cleanup on the intake ports, mostly cleaning up and smoothing out, so hopefully I did more good then harm. Don't you hate it when you have a new part on the car and you can't even test it out :mad

Mark, If I can't get this divorced choke to work I may be sending you an e-mail, and my engine never sees anything above 5500 rpm anyway, so this intake should fit the bill.

Pat Kunz
Old 02-27-2002, 12:50 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine seems a bit cold natured also. Maybe it's the aluminum. Make sure you at least put the choke mechanism in the little holes (1 or 2?)to avoid any possibility of an exhaust leak (not sure if this is so critical with the gasket youare using).

Also had to bend fuel line away from heater hose. I'm not satisfied with that look and I may go with the braided flex line instead (is that safe to use)?

Good luck. It sure looks better than that orange painted intake!!

Regards, Mark :flag :chevy
Old 02-28-2002, 05:08 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: L-36 intake going on LS-4 (marky mark)

I don't think there will be much worry about an exhaust leak in that intake, especially since sombody epoxied most of that passage on the intake previously, I knew about this before I got it though, I also got the proper carb gaskets from Lars just in case it did leak somewhere and managed to get past the block off and the epoxy. I was planning on upgrading the fuel system eventually anyway so I guess it gives me some excuse with it's proximity to the heater hose. I was thinking about going to stainless braided line as well, it's very safe stuff and it looks very trick to boot.

Pat Kunz

Get notified of new replies

To L-36 intake going on LS-4

Quick Reply: L-36 intake going on LS-4