C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach reading high

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 01:52 AM
av8vito
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tach reading high

Noticed that the tach in my '80 was reading about 500 RPM higher than normal while cruising down the highway tonight. Wasn't sure if the tach was high; the speedometer was low; or what. After exciting the freeway, the engine was idling normally, but the tach was reading about 500 RPM high still (~1150 RPM). Any tips on why my tach would be reading high, and how to fix it??
Old 02-24-2002, 06:34 PM
av8vito
Instructor

Default Re: Tach reading high (av8vito)

Hmmm . . . no comments huh? Before I pull the tach to see about replacing the circuit board, I was hoping someone else had already experienced this problem, and could give me any alternatives befroe I dive into the tach gauge cluster. Been in there before, and it's a PITA. Guess I'll end up pulling the tach/speedo again. Good opportunity to fix the wiper switch, and upgrade the speedo to 145 MPH. Maybe this isn't such a problem!!
Old 02-24-2002, 08:33 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Question: When you turn the ignition on without starting the engine, is the needle on 0 rpm's? If not, you may simply need to pull needle off (Carefully!) and push back on resetting it at 0. If this is not the case, have no idea.

BTW, I have an old circuit board for an 82 that may also apply to an 80. If you research and it does, its for sale. I bought a replacement board thinking a tach problem I had was the board. It wasn't, so I have a perfectly good tach board for sale.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:15 PM
av8vito
Instructor

Default Re: Tach reading high (Larry82)

Yeah, my needle is on zero at start. In fact, the tach reads fine for the first hour or so of operation. After running for awhile, it starts creeping up despite a steady speed. Looks like I'll be changing the circuit board.

Thanks for the offer on the circuit board. I'll e-mail you when I get into the dash.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:53 AM
Shark79
Instructor

I've got the same problem with my 79 except it seems close at idle but is off around 2 grand at 60. First time I drove it and saw over 5 grand at 60 I freaked. Let me know if you find a fix.
Kip
Old 02-25-2002, 02:24 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Tach reading high (Shark79)

My 1980 has been tested on two dynos. Both showed the tach 100 - 150 RPM high under 1000 RPM.
Then anything about 1250 RPM, the tach would read 500 RPM high.

I have just lived with this and learned to subtract when I look at it. I would like to know if a new circuit board would fix this.

If so, I may have that excuse to open up the dash ( :U ) and fix the clock ( :rolleyes: ) at the same time.

[Modified by BSeery, 11:24 PM 2/24/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Tach reading high

Quick Reply: Tach reading high