C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need info on removal and installation of Dash Pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 11:53 PM
Bill Hanna
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on removal and installation of Dash Pads

I am planning on installing new speakers in the dash. I just removed the passengers side lower dash pad (pretty easy). The drivers side looks more difficult !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the following questions:

Do you need to remove the top dash pad to remove the drivers side lower dash pad ???

How easy is it to remove the top dash pad ?????

Old 02-24-2002, 01:12 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Need info on removal and installation of Dash Pads (Bill Hanna)

Bill,
You didn't say what year model you have, but on the earlier C-3s you can remove both lower pads with out taking out the top pad. The top pad is tough to get out without cracking. The best way to get it out in one piece is to make sure it is really warmed up. In cold cloudy weather one way to warm it up first is to lay an electric blanket on it.
In the summer you can just set the car out in the sun until the dash pad is very warm.
Even with it warmed up you have to really careful prying it out or it will crack.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:24 AM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my 73, you take the passenger pad off and both side pillars (windshield). The top pad will lift enought to get the speaker out of the driver side.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Old 02-24-2002, 12:39 PM
Bill Hanna
Advanced

I have 74 coupe. While I am in there I am going to replace the Tach. So I guess I need to remove the top dash completely.

Any more suggestions ?

Thanks for the help.

Bill
Old 02-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

To replace the driver side speaker, I took the A-pillar pads off but still couldn't get the dash pad up enough to get at the speed nuts on the speaker. So I dropped the steering column and then loosened the speedo/tach cluster so that it moved down a few inches. Then I had enough room to get my ratchet with a long socket onto the speaker nuts.

I kept notes on dropping the column. You can find them as part of a paper that I wrote for http://www.corvettefaq.com. Look under Steering and Suspension; Adjust Dimmer and/or Ignition Switch - Drop Strg Column.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:06 PM
John's Shark
Racer

Default Re: Need info on removal and installation of Dash Pads (Jim Shea)

I removed my top dash pad on my 71 last winter. I used 2 heating pads covered by some towels to hold the heat in. Let them sit on high for about 30 minutes. It's a PITA, but shove the dash all the way to the left, put your left hand in the middle to push up and pull it down and out to with your right. If yours is like mine, you might want to remove the plastic defrost vent first. It will crack easily when you bend. Also, mine has speaker brackets the speakers mount in. You will find that most modern speakers will fit the bracket but will bump against the speedo housing. I purchased a NOS driers side bracket that I am going to cut up for more clearance. Got to get the engine projects done first though!
Old 02-25-2002, 12:27 PM
Bill Hanna
Advanced

I am installing 4x6 Kenwoods from CorvetteAmerica in the existing speaker brackets.

38706 1968-1982 SPEAKER. FRONT 60W KENWD 4X6 2-CONE PR $89.00

Direct fit in-dash speakers for 1970-1982 Corvettes and replacement for front kick panels for 1968-1969. Your choice of three styles. 4"x6".

The speakers are the same height, however the speaker magnet is larger.

Anyone have a problem installing these speakers in a C3 DASH ??????

The big problem I see is getting the wiring harness high enough to reinstall the Speedo and Tach in the dash.

Wish me luck, always and adventure with a C3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Need info on removal and installation of Dash Pads

Quick Reply: Need info on removal and installation of Dash Pads