C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Had Some Free Time So....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 09:37 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default I Had Some Free Time So....

If you recall I dropped my crank in the other day and used motor oil to lubricate the bearings. Well I was feeling kind of guilty about it so I pulled the crank back out, cleaned the oil off of the bearings and applied some Clevite bearing break-in lube. While I was in there, I staggered the rear main seal so the cracks on the seal weren't even with the cracks of the main caps (thanks for the suggestion Jim!).

I wish my uncle would get his butt in gear and get over here to help me get the rings on the pistons. This is currently my only set back.

Stupid Question Of The Day:
Which way do the pistons go in? I have slightly domed pistons and am unsure which way should be pointing in what direction? My pistons are listed in my signature. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2002, 10:05 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I Had Some Free Time So.... (bence13_33)

The side with the connecting rod goes down. :D

I just had to throw that in there.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:19 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bence, I've got faith in ya! You don't need your uncle to install the rings, you got us! :) If you can fit your bearings, you can fit your rings. Your rings probably came with instructions, right? If they're file fit and you have a file and the specs, do it. If you're intalling on old pistons, bust one of the old rings and use it to scrape the lands until they're completely clean. Most rings have a dot to indicate the top and/or will have a beveled edge that faces up. The rings aren't so fragile that you are likely to damage one so don't be afraid. Put one end in the land and roll the rest of it in (not unlike having sex but not as much fun :) ). Put the gaps of the 1st and 2nd ring opposite of each other, test fit and measure to make sure that the gaps are spec.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:19 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: I Had Some Free Time So.... (Pete79L82)

The side with the connecting rod goes down
:p:
Old 02-23-2002, 10:29 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

While I was in there, I staggered the rear main seal so the cracks on the seal weren't even with the cracks of the main caps (thanks for the suggestion Jim!)
Darn..wish I thought of that. Sounds like a great tip....but it comes 1 week too late for me. Good luck bence, can't wait to see your fire breathing monster! :reddevil :reddevil :reddevil
Old 02-23-2002, 11:33 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bence,

I was getting worried... I didn't see a post from you regarding your progress over the last 6 days or so.... I was going to start a new topic "Calling Bence_13_33..... We need a 454 update!!!"

Glad to see it is coming along well....

Take your time on it with your Uncle and buy him some beer!!

Bob :cheers:
Old 02-23-2002, 11:34 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Stupid Question Of The Day:
Which way do the pistons go in? I have slightly domed pistons and am unsure which way should be pointing in what direction? My pistons are listed in my signature. Thanks!
Someone told me once - There are no stupid questions, but a lot of curious idiots :lol: You are obviously not one of these Bence. Look at the top of your piston - some place a small dimple on the top of the piston above the wrist pin - this dimple faces the front of the engine.

This is not the case on all pistons I'm sure...I would imagine that most mfr's have their own method. If the pistons are new they should have shipped with instructions.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:52 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Bence, did you get the honing done? How much piston clearance? Good move using the assembly lube!

Stop typing and get those rings installed! YOU CAN DO IT!

-Joe
Old 02-24-2002, 10:29 AM
rrent
Drifting

It doesn't get much better than pushing a new set of pistons into a nice clean shortblock - unless of course its finesse involved in slipping in the cam- or maybe bolting on the heads -- no, no its setting up the valve train -- or wait maybe breaking in the cam -- okay okay it driving the finished product.

I've got a 454 (bored .030 over) shortblock setting on an engine stand - so I know where you are coming from waiting bites - but being finished is way way way
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 02-24-2002, 12:20 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: I Had Some Free Time So.... (rrent)

Make sure the bores are as clean as possible. I use auto tranny fluid on a clean paper towel. Keep changing paper towels until it comes out clean. Tranny fluid is designed to suspend dirt in the fluid. It cleans the walls and keeps it on the towel. It will make the rings seat very quickly. An old trick my machine shop taught me. The piston dome should have the valve releifs up. Just imagine the head on the block and which way the valves are moving and it should be clear.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:13 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Well, I have decided that this upcoming weekend will be the start date for the piston installation. I'm going to ask my uncle to come over and help me....if he can't I'm going to take the bull by the horns and have at it myself. So close but yet so far away.... :cry

*Edit*
Thanks for the tip Gordon! I'll be sure to wipe down the bores real good.

[Modified by bence13_33, 7:14 PM 2/24/2002]
Old 02-25-2002, 04:30 AM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Bence,

See if these 2 photos help you with alignment of domed pistons.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/vw...c=ph%26.view=t
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/vw...c=ph%26.view=t
Old 02-25-2002, 10:00 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bence,
I know what you're going through, I did all this a few months ago. I would suggest buying a ring installation tool (very inexpensive) as it makes the job extremely easy. There is no reason to risk breaking a ring instead of buying a $5 tool. You can pick them up at just about any parts store. I also used the auto trans fluid to clean the bores, and you would be very surprised at how much it picks up. Another thing I did was submerge the completed piston/rings/con rod assembly in brand new oil just before installation. This is a messy job, but it makes the piston slide very nicely in the bore. Another tool worth it's weight is gold is a good ring compressor for putting the pistons in. Don't scimp on price here. Finally, make sure you put something in the rod bolts to prevent them from scratching the bores. I used some fuel line about 3 inches long.

If you have someone to help, it can't hurt, but you can do it. Just remember, the work will definitely be worth it; I was able to drive the car yesterday, and it feels great to know I built the engine.

Good luck. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To I Had Some Free Time So....

Quick Reply: I Had Some Free Time So....