C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BANG !!!! how bad did I hurt the rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 07:47 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default BANG !!!! how bad did I hurt the rear end?

Went out for a drive last night and while getting on it a little I heard a very loud BANG in the rear end, inside the 3rd member. I was close to home, and as I pulled into the drive way, BANG again. I stopped and went forward, reverse a few times and BANG again. I got out and looked, nothing hanging. The parts inside the 3rd member are 30 years and 100,000 miles old.

I had been out driving most of the day and thought I could hear and feel something banging in the bottom of my seat, at indisciminate times before it broke.

I am thinking ring and pinion, or spider gears. Any guesses on what I broke.
Old 02-23-2002, 07:54 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: BANG !!!! how bad did I hurt the rear end? (69 N.O.X. RATT)

Sounds similar to what I had happen. But mine was the ring gear bolts that let go. It sounds more like the spider gears went but you never know until you get it apart. Either way it sounds liek a rebuild will be needed. You will have lots of little metal parts in there.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:18 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: BANG !!!! how bad did I hurt the rear end? (Gordonm)

I'd agree with Gordonm too I think its spider gears. I remember when a tooth came off my pinion a few years ago, I swear the car jumped in the air when the tooth jammed inbetween the back cover and the ring gear! You can still see the trail of gear oil faintly on the road as you drive to my moms house.

Get notified of new replies

To BANG !!!! how bad did I hurt the rear end?

Quick Reply: BANG !!!! how bad did I hurt the rear end?