C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about an oriface....lars?? anyone else

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 07:42 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question about an oriface....lars?? anyone else

A few months back i was inqiuring about a electrtic fuel pump and have gotten around to installing it...

lars said to me...
run the return line as close to the carb as possible, thus always keeping cool fuel circulating all the way up to the carb. I run a small restrictor oriface at the return line to keep fuel pressure up while allowing fuel circulation. This works very well, and eliminates the lean-out condition as well as vapor lock problems.
What i was wondering was where i can get one of these, and what size i should get? Honestly, I dontt know what one of these even looks like, so if someone could explain or post a pic of it, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!
Chris
Old 02-23-2002, 07:47 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question about an oriface....lars?? anyone else (74VETTE)

He is just talking about a small hole. Probably a plug fitting with a hole drilled into it or some kind of plate with a hole.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:02 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question about an oriface....lars?? anyone else (74VETTE)

74Vette-
I'll throw in my .02 here. The way I read it and to answer your question: he's refering to reducing or restricting the inner diameter of the return line. This allows fuel pressure to remain higher at the carb side without 'dumping' back to the tank. As for what method you can use to accomplish this is variable. I would be thinking along the line of something homemade. So for this recipe you'd need to figure something that would fit 'in' the return line with a smaller hole or orifice than the I.D. of the line, that would not dislodge. Hope that gives you a clearer thought!
Good Luck -Rod :chevy
Old 02-24-2002, 01:22 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Question about an oriface....lars?? anyone else (ROD NOCK)

Thanks guys....I went back and did a search on "oriface" and came up with another post someone started about this and, i think it was lars who suggested just reducing the return line size to 1/8" and said he did it out of the fuel press. regulator.

I have a regulator already mounted to the firewall, and im going to bed the steel lines most of the way up the firewall and out of the way of the exhaust as much as possible, and leave a a few inches to make connections with rubber hoses. Im going to run a supply to the regulator, and then an outlet thats already in place going to the carb, and where there is a 90 degree 3/8 to 1/8" NPT fitting for my gauge im going to put in a "tee" fitting with the gauge staying in place and another 1/8 outlet going downward towards the return line.

Seems like it will work to me and i think its similiar to the setup lars was explaining from that previous post a few months ago.

Any opinions?
Thanks
Chris

[Modified by 74VETTE, 12:25 AM 2/24/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Question about an oriface....lars?? anyone else

Quick Reply: Question about an oriface....lars?? anyone else