C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever replace the seal to the steering gear box at the worm gear shaft??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 04:38 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Anyone ever replace the seal to the steering gear box at the worm gear shaft??

Trying to get the old leaking seal out of the steering gear box at the worm shaft while the box is still mounted in the car. I can't find or make the right tool to pull the old seal out. Anyone ever done this, and if so what tool did you use?

Regards,

Jim
Old 02-23-2002, 08:31 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever replace the seal to the steering gear box at the worm gear shaft?? (Jim73)

In order to get at the input shaft seal you must already have the flexible coupling removed and the steering column pulled back. With this already done, you can now proceed to remove the adjuster nut. Be sure to first mark the adjuster assembly and the housing so that you know just how far to tighten it when it comes to reassembly.

Now unscrew the adjuster assembly and count the number of turns as you are unscrewing it. Don't remove the input shaft. Keep it fully engaged because there is another bearing deep inside the gear box that holds the input shaft at the other end.

Once the adjuster assembly is out of the car you can remove the bearing assembly that is in the back side of the adjuster. With the bearing out of the way, you should have sufficient clearance to be able to get in behind the seal and push it out.

Press in the new seal flush with the face of the adjuster.

Be sure to check the surface finish of the input shaft in the area where the new seal will ride. If it is heavily corroded and rough, it will probably wear out the new seal in quick fashion.

Reassemble in reverse order. You should be able to reassemble the adjuster assembly to exactly the position that it was originally. It should be snug and not allow any axial motion of the input shaft.

I have never done this in the car, but I am reasonably sure that it should work.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever replace the seal to the steering gear box at the worm gear shaft?? (Jim Shea)

Jim,

Thanks. I sent you an email before I read this posting asking this same question. I knew you would have the answer.

Regards,

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever replace the seal to the steering gear box at the worm gear shaft??

Quick Reply: Anyone ever replace the seal to the steering gear box at the worm gear shaft??