C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP problem#2 - TH-400 won't come out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 01:32 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP problem#2 - TH-400 won't come out of Park

Replaced lock parts in steering column. I can get the car to start, engine running, transmission won't come out of park. I disconnect backdrive cable from column, column part works fine. Backdrive disconnected, it still won't come out of park. I don't want to force the shifter, obviously, but it shifts halfway to reverse, and then stops.

Any ideas?
Old 02-23-2002, 03:51 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP problem#2 - TH-400 won't come out of Park (thejaf)

More info:

Disconnected the shifter linkage from the transmission. Shifter in car does not budge, even though it's now not hooked up. I then removed the center console cover and remove the linkage from the shifter itself. Shifter then moves freely, but linkage won't budge.

Is there any mechanism that would bind the shifter linkage, which actually appears to be just a cable
Old 02-23-2002, 04:03 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I had the same problem on my 76. The cable can actually rust and freeze in place. Mine worked fine one day, and then the next day it woudn't move at all :( . You can buy a new one through NAPA or any of the Corvette catelogs.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:51 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP problem#2 - TH-400 won't come out of Park (Jason Staley)

That sounds possible, however I can rotate the cable. It's now discconected both at the tranny and at the shifter. I can squeeze the shifter end with my fingers and rotate it 360* and hear the other end under the car hit the exhaust pipe, and audible "tink" every time I rotate the cable, which leads me to beleive the cable is somewhat free.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:12 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Got a closer look at the transmission side of the cable. The metal end that fits to the transmission fits inside a metal sleeve. I assume this is to protect the cable? Anyway, I don't know how long the metal end is, but I noticed that sleeve is slightly bent. Is that how it's supposed to be, or should it be straight? I don't know how it would have gotten bent :confused:
Old 02-24-2002, 10:20 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

With the cable disconnected from BOTH the trans and the shifter, can you slide the cable easily in and out (not rotate)? It should move really easily.

Have you checked to see if the cable going to the steering column is not froze also? If that cable is froze, the transmission will not be able to shift also.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:35 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP problem#2 - TH-400 won't come out of Park (Jason Staley)

Yes, cable is disconnected at both ends, and I can only move it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, and there's quite a bit of resistance even doing that.

I guess I'll order a new cable on Monday. :smash:

The backdrive calbe appears to be fine. I can actually put the car through the gears (R, N, D, 2,1) by moving the backdrive cable.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP problem#2 - TH-400 won't come out of Park

Quick Reply: HELP problem#2 - TH-400 won't come out of Park