C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New G-Tech with first time

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 10:21 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New G-Tech with first time

The new G-Tech arrived today. A week after the rest of the order from Jeg's. 3 days after deciding to go ahead a start the next round of modifacations.
Good thing I'm so darn slow. The only work that I had done was jacking the car up on jackstands and removing the rocker panels. It was a "no brainer" to decide to knock the car off the stands and warm it up to get some times.
The only times that I got was 0-60. I'm not sure that I want to try to run a quarter mile on public roads. My best time was 7.55 to 60 MPH. The car really is as slow as it seems :cry
Shift kit and less restrictive mufflers are in the works for the coming weeks. Stay tuned.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: New G-Tech with first time (1979toy)

Did you get the Holley up and running? It had great response for me and i'm sure it would have posted some great 0-60 times.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:47 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Maybe you didn't have the G-Tech set up right. I think my best so far is 5.4. Not sure how much I trust the G-Tech though. I'll find out in a month or so when I go to the 1/4 mile track. I plan on setting it up and comparing times. I know MPH will be off, mainly want to compare ET.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:26 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

No offense, but if you're running the setup in your sig you should be running a LOT faster than a 7.6 to sixty. I would think you'd be much closer to mid 5's. Is that a planned mod list or what?
-Steve
Old 02-23-2002, 12:31 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Steve,
Something ain't right! You ought to be running in the mid 5's with your car!
I was looking at your mods and your engine will be very close to mine when I get the engine back together. With my old worn out 350 I was getting 7 second 0-60. Take another look at that G-tech.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:54 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

No offence taken. The engine is currently set up as described in my signature. The only change is that I have removed the Accel coil and installed a stock coil to make timing changes easier. I had long suspected that something wasn't right with my car. Until I got hard numbers it was only a guess though. I'm not even sure that the engine is my problem, it was slower than watching grass grow before the mods started.
My car takes forever to move away from a stop. No wheel spin, just moves slow to about ten feet out, then starts running. Carb seems to be adjusted properly. The cam should be making power from idle. Advance is kicking in early, all in by 2200 RPM, but only getting 32 degrees of mechanical due to the Accel not giving near enough advance (16 degrees total) and needing to stay at or below 16 degrees to start.
Now that I've got hard numbers to back up my "seat of pants" feel I can start making some tuning changes and try to locate this lost power.
Stingy- The carb is rebuilt and ready to install as a part of this tuning session. It is now wearing a quick change vacuum cover and an electric choke. I'm starting with the same jetting even though I expect to be rich on my first try.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:01 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

No offence taken. The engine is currently set up as described in my signature. ... My car takes forever to move away from a stop. No wheel spin, just moves slow to about ten feet out, then starts running.
I see you have an auto. Has anything been done to it? What about the torque converter? What type, stall speed, how old?
Old 02-23-2002, 12:18 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New G-Tech with first time (sharklover)

Stock transmission and convertor. I just decided to put a shift kit in it since I'm not going to get around to installing a T700 this winter. The convertor should have been fine with this cam, but it sure feels like it wants a higher stall speed. I wanted to stay with the stock stall speed since I cruise around town at 2000 RPM a lot.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:56 PM
DaBo
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Steve,
Got your IM ...window only no message...
I got a G-Tech from a friend the other day but no instructions.
Anyway you can make me a copy of your??

OR if anyone else can get me some instructions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2002, 01:50 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New G-Tech with first time (DaBo)

Might be easier to take them to Kinko's rather than try to e-mail a scan. Call me after 2:00 today. Guess who's making extra Corvette money today?
Old 02-23-2002, 02:52 PM
DaBo
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,

I am sure it would be........

Installing a CD changer in my Neices car right now....but come by later.
I'll take you for a ride in the 62' and we'll break some copyright laws :lol: :lol:

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Your converter should be more than good to go for that car. I have an L-48 cam and my car SURGES ahead off idle if you get on it. None of the 10-feet stuff. Check tranny fluid, make sure modulator valve is working okay. The stock stall on the TH-350 was like 2100 rpm according to my 78 engineering specs, which is more than enough for that cam. I'd also check fuel... fuel filter/carb jetting etc.
Or maybe you just weigh 1000 lbs? :) j/k
-Steve
Old 02-23-2002, 04:03 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New G-Tech with first time (Pacin'California)

You're stalling at 2100? I can flash my convertor to 1900 and get a steady stall from 1500 to 1600 depending on how the motor feels that day.
One of the planned steps is to connect a vacuum gage and run it to the cockpit to see what in the heck is happening with that. I suspect that the final answer is going to be fuel or a vacuum induced fuel problem.
Shoot, if it was easy everybody would have a 12 second car! :D

Get notified of new replies

To New G-Tech with first time

Quick Reply: New G-Tech with first time