C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here

Does anybody else get this. I had some of the transmission in the basement and it smells a little like gear oil. She says the whole house smells like that. I just don't smell it all over the house. It is not that bad anyway. Just wondering if anyone else has to put up with this. I try to keep it in the garage but hey sometimes you have to bring some stuff inside. :D
Old 02-22-2002, 08:49 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (Gordonm)

I cook painted parts in the oven...when the Wife is not home.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:57 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (paul79)

I have all of my car parts for spring time in my bedroom. Although I don't have a wife, just a girlfriend. Its good like that cause if she gives me flack I can boot her. :eek:

This is the break in period for her. Then marrage :cheers:
Old 02-22-2002, 09:16 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (Gordonm)

I got it last spring when I was re-building my Holley. I guess I have to agree, that Chemtool B-9 parts cleaner does stink. Gotta remember to get some rubber gloves, and a house with a detached garage.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:24 PM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (ORVette)

. Gotta remember to get some rubber gloves, and a house with a detached garage.
Better still...get a garage with a detatched wife. :D
Old 02-22-2002, 09:45 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (Brutus)

That's not a bad idea but in Canada the Wife gets 50% of everything you own when detached. I do not look forward to cutting the Corvette in half with a chain saw.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:57 PM
J75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (Brutus)

Mine became detatched when i filled 2 bedrooms with parts.Just couldn`t understand my reasoning!
Old 02-22-2002, 10:28 PM
RedHot
Le Mans Master

Location: Recovering from a tragic boating accident in Jacksonville Fl
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet

It's not the smell, it's when ya leave the parts in the tub after ya clean them that gets them "Cranky". :crazy: :yesnod: :lol: :smash:
Old 02-22-2002, 10:39 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I've so far painted the vette and two other cars in an attached garage :yesnod:... I love the smell of thinner in the morning :lol:
Old 02-22-2002, 11:01 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Yeah, I caught some hell too last summer when I replaced the Muncie fluid/gaskets. I must be sick because I sorta liked the smell. I hadn't smelled anything like that since I worked in a gas station/repair shop in college! There's no other smell quite like it. :crazy: :crazy:

Ironically though, my 14 year old said she likes when I work on the Vette..she's now got a little fondness for that "garage" smell. :yesnod: :lol:
Old 02-22-2002, 11:01 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got parts on my kitchen table, in the dining room and living room...none of it smells though, waiting for installation.

No WIFE....No PROBLEMS!!!
ps..nothing against you guys that are married though :cheers:
Old 02-22-2002, 11:18 PM
X-OTIC
Instructor

No problems with smells. But she does tell me she can't hear the TV when I'm running the car :D
Old 02-22-2002, 11:21 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (Cajun75)

Cajun75,
Must be some logic in your reasoning! :D No wife = 2 Corvettes, the absolute best of all worlds a C-3 roadster and a C-5! Wow, you are just living right! :cheers:
My wife keeps threatening to cave my head in for all the car mess in the garage, but I figure after 30 years I figure it's a hollow threat, she'd have done it already.
My advice for all you unmarrried men out there, women aren't like cars, with women it is better lease than to buy. :lol:
Old 02-23-2002, 10:20 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

In the past, I have put MANY parts in the oven on warm to get the paint to set. I have also painted my 66 in my integral garage. So any lacquer fumes came up through the living room. Wife wasn't too happy! I won't be doing that again (at least until I know that she is gone for the day).
Gary
Old 02-23-2002, 10:27 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (GaryS)

She doesn't hate the Vette, just doesn't understand the attraction or why someone would actually enjoy working on something when one didn't have to. I work on little projects for her at the same time I work on the Vette, rewire a lamp or something, and that seems to keep the piece. Bottom line, I keep everything, and I mean everything, in the garage. She would never stand for it in the house. :nono:
Old 02-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Steve Adkins
Drifting

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (GaryS)

I must be pretty lucky, not to brag or anything, but my wife actually sits down in the garage with me when I am working on my vette. Sometimes even helps when needed!!! I have only been married to three years though.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:43 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (Steve Adkins)

My wife actually complains too little! :crazy:

A number of times I've come into the house to find that fumes from something like paint, exhaust, etc have really stunk up th house! I wish she would have told me, I could have done something about it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here

Old 02-23-2002, 12:10 PM
rrent
Drifting

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (427V8)

I just did my second Holley rebuild in as many weekends - last weekend for the Blazer this for the "nothing fancy"'77. As we all know, you gotta do Holley rebuilds indoor while watching the tube :yesnod: and after all what are dens made for? I do take the main parts out to the garage to spray, dip, scrub, and such - so no carb cleaner squirting across the flloor.

I find if I work fast enough - I'm already putting it back together before I hear; "I"M BEING OVERCOME BY FUMES"
Old 02-23-2002, 12:19 PM
Jim Martley2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (Steve Adkins)

QUOTE]I must be pretty lucky, not to brag or anything, but my wife actually sits down in the garage with me when I am working on my vette. Sometimes even helps when needed!!! I have only been married to three years though. [/QUOTE] You are not alone!! My wife of 22 years helps me when we show the 82 and can be "talked into" helping me in the garage on occation. It usually COSTS ME DEARLY (some new jewelry or something alond those lines) :) :) !
Old 02-23-2002, 12:31 PM
docmow
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Re: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here (rrent)

my said after i just got 2 more vetts 78 and 91 convt build work shop so i get a 40 by 50 shop
al so if know wants a 91 corvette 55000.mile car let me know

Quick Reply: Wife Rant: Your Stinking Up The House Get that Smelly Whatever Out Of Here