C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whacky update

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 06:26 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whacky update

HI all,
Way back when... I said my car sounded like it was making popcorn when I got on it. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=141606

Well, today a guy from work begged my to take a cruise. So I dropped the car and hooked up some ignition as WE WERE OFF. The popping was still there, he stated he wanted to see if it was back firing though the carb??!!!
Picture this, WIDE back road, NO HOOD ON THE CAR, AIR CLEANER OFF and running like a bat out of HELL. Guess what, no more popping...NONE..ZERO...ZILTCH... what gives? Can a car starve for air? I thought it would just stall or shut down??? The thing runs totally different without air cleaner I mean SOOOO MUCH BETTER... CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS??!?!?@@@)* dont yell about no air cleaner... rebuilding motor... :crazy:
Old 02-22-2002, 07:27 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: whacky update (Mr.Gearhead)

I wouldnt get used to running the car without an aircleaner... Kindof like letting alot of sand and dirt down the carb... scratching up you cylinder walls, and messing up lots off other small things.

Is your aircleaner new? I doupt it would cause popping... but it may be worth a shot, 3 dollar fix over a carb tuning is fine in my book :yesnod:

also could it be the engine straining against the hood? and when you let off the aircleaner pops into the underside?

Are there any clearance problems with you carb and aircleaner? This to could be a problem... something could get stuck
Old 02-22-2002, 08:48 PM
Anar76
Burning Brakes

Default Re: whacky update (ZD75blue)

Another thing you might want to check is to see if the air cleaner base is touching a bare wire (grounding something out) or clamping a hose shut or something.

Old 02-22-2002, 09:06 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: whacky update (Anar76)

Is it an old air cleaner, if so buy a new one, dirty air cleaner will definetly reduce performance.

[Modified by MotorHead, 7:06 PM 2/22/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To whacky update

Quick Reply: whacky update