C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pep Talk

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 04:46 PM
JK80
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pep Talk

I bought a 80 vette in vary poor condition two years ago with the intention of repairing her to a clean safe daily driver. Last February my mother was diagnosised with lung cancer. She has since had surgery,chemotheropy, and is been doing very well. I had to put my project on hold for a year and here is where I need your help. It looks like it's OK to get back into the garage and pick up where I left off. The car is torn down quite a bit and I need some motovation so I can finish the job. A year is a long time to have to remember how everything goes back together. Can I do it?
-John-
Old 02-22-2002, 04:55 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Pep Talk (JK80)

Yes! I wish i had before and after pictures of my car.... but think about the great weekend cruises! :chevy
Old 02-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

John,
Yes you can do it. And I would suggest that you make a point of doing so to take your mind away from your Mother's dilemma. At the same time taking care of her needs. I certainly do not wish to get into your personal life but there is a balance point between your life and hers. I do not know your age, and that may sound a little callous, but you have to get on with life. And I suspect your Mother would agree.

Two years ago my Mother had a bout with colon cancer. It was minor but did require surgery. She said no to the chemo as it would leave her bed-ridden and sick for many months. After seven days in hospital and three months at home, she was fine. Still is. In the summer of 2000, I asked if there was anything she wanted. Yes, a ride in the Corvette. So I took her for a 60-mile ride to a vintage restaurant for a very nice lunch. On the way with t-tops off and with her shades on, she asked me to "hit it." Well, I hit it and made 90mph before I shut down. She loved that trip and talks about it to this day! Last summer I was thinking of taking her to the drag strip but there are limits.

BTW, my Mother is 83. She will not be with me much longer. Fix your Corvette and give your Mother a ride. Life is precious. Corvette special moments are forever.

[Modified by paul79, 4:53 PM 2/22/2002]

[Modified by paul79, 8:33 PM 2/22/2002] ;) :) :) :)

[Modified by paul79, 8:58 PM 2/22/2002]
Old 02-22-2002, 06:09 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,

Depending on how far torn down it is, either take it for a drive (if it's driveable) or go for a ride in a friends C3. I got really discouraged when I was stripping my car for a repaint. Luckily it was still driveable, so I took it for a spin. No hood, multicolored body in various states of primer, paint, stripper, etc. Put the fire back in me to get it done.

I was stylin' in it, for sure!

Shannon
Old 02-22-2002, 06:50 PM
Tomcat
Intermediate

Best regards to your family, John.
TC
Old 02-22-2002, 07:06 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

The best inspiration for me is to start looking at all the cool Vettes out there. Like today I was inspired by dshrack's beautiful '81: http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/dshrack/

good luck
-terry
Old 02-22-2002, 08:57 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Pep Talk (terryrudy)

John,

A year is nothing, get back into the garage and become one with the Vette. You are in the same boat as a lot of guys here, so look at it as something to take your mind away from the daily stress and soon you'll wonder how time went by so fast. Right now mine has no motor in it, parts all over the other side of the garage, it looks like I had a Corvette parts explosion. Next week I'll be getting almost daily deliveries from UPS with loads of new parts. I find it good therapy to go out in the garage and do all that work myself knowing that some day soon people will go :eek: when they see what I did. And you can always come here to get help, if it wasn't for some of the people here I wouldn't have gotten half as far as I have. When you are done do like Paul did, take your mom out for a nice ride and treat her to dinner.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:06 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Pep Talk (C3 Shark Tank)

"YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 02-22-2002, 09:28 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Yes you can, it will be very good for you. Working on, driving, thinking about your vet can help you get through the tough times.

The last six months it keep me going, during this time I buried my 13 old son, a friend (guy I walked with during lunch hour for the last 7 years), and grandmother this month.

After my son died I wanted to sell the vet for nothing was important any more. During my depression from my son I had to get proffesional help and they made drive the vet a lot and it brought me back again.

Work on it and enjoy :yesnod:, and it will help you be strong for your mom.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Pep Talk (Tominator)

Tominator,
I had never thought of things in that perspective. Thank you for sharing....
Old 02-22-2002, 09:48 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Pep Talk (Tominator)

John,
One thing that inspired me to get my 'Vette was memories of rides in my step-dad's black '80 from Ann Arbor down old Ann Arbor/Saline Road to Wendy's in Saline for burgers. I just went through a divorce (my first) with my wife of 6 yrs., which is nothing compared to the experiences you and Tom describe, but it was still heartbreaking for me and my car has been parked for a few weeks now. Well, it stopped raining today, the sun came out, and the temp got up to 65, so I got some energy up and went and did something about it. First, I washed my Monte Carlo, so I wouldn't be too embarrassed to drive to the Chevy Dealership, bought some parts I needed to get it going again, and came home and worked on it. Things went well, and I just got back from a nice twilight cruise with the tops out. Everything worked fine, in fact, the car seemed extra solid for some reason. Just take it one step at a time. I hope you find your inspiration.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:09 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

JK-
I can relate. I lost 3 years to the loss of 2 family members. When all was said and done, I took a sigh and looked at how far my whole life was behind. So for the last couple of years, it's been like digging a hole that just keeps caving in. I kept digging as much as it would take to get things back on track. The vette was the last thing on my mind at the time, but I knew it was good therapy for me just to putz with it. Much of my motivation to continue with it has come from the forum here!
So hang in there, and get that 'wild hair' sprouting again to dig into therapy project land!! I'm just an hours drive from your area, if you need a hand with the vette in any way, let me know via email. -Good Luck -Rod :chevy
Old 02-23-2002, 10:39 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Working on the Vette is extremely therapeutic, especially when it is a car that you do not have to depend on for a daily driver, thus relieving the pressure to get it done right away.. I think it has to do with keeping the mind on problems that, in the grand scheme of things, are really petty and the satisfaction of overcoming the problems. I would suggest you go back to it and I think you will find that it will help.

Get notified of new replies

To Pep Talk

Quick Reply: Pep Talk