C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions before installing headers and hooker exhaust system.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 02:14 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions before installing headers and hooker exhaust system.

I'm starring at my hooker competition headers, hooker dual exhaust kit, and hooker maximum flow mufflers right now. The installation looks pretty solid. Its the stock system that I'm a bit shady about.
I do have a few questions about the new system though, well more like a cluster of questions under a main topic.

1. I have a 1979 L-48 A/C Corvette with the stock exhaust system. Installing the left side header should be a breeze, but what about the right side header? I have A/C and was wondering if I could still install the A/C Compressor(Correct?). I was told and read an A/C bracket would not be needed for my 79. Is this true?

2. I have the hooker competition headers without the ceramic coating *Had to go cheap!*. Can I rely on that hi-temp black paint already on the headers? Could the temp be so high that it would become lethal to everything under the hood? I'm alittle worried about spark plug wires..etc burning up. Is there anything I could or SHOULD do to the headers before I install them. The headers are my main concern as I know the history behind their extremely hot nature.

3. I had totally forgot that I would need tail pipes. I suppose I could run to autozone and buy a pair. Good idea?

4. In the process I guess I could change the spark plugs and install new plug wires. I have never done this tune up since I bought the car 6 months ago, heck I have never done a plug change period, so it should be a fun experience. Its doubtful if they were replaced by the previous owner. Which plugs and wires should I look at? Anything decent from say autozone and the like?

5. Having the system welded up after installation is a must, correct? How much is the typical cost to have a muffler shop weld everything?

6. How is the sound of the maximum flow mufflers? The chart shows flowmaster 2 chamber being about 8 dba's higher. Are the maximum flow mufflers still nice sound producers? I can look through one end and see right out the other, it's like a straight pipe.

7. The new true dual exhaust pipes are bare with a white lotion looking substance inside the tubes. What is it? I read they do rust *Well of course* over a span of years. Did the 20+ year old exhaust piping have some kind of coating? Will the true dual hooker pipes last that long?

8. Last question! Will I feel a significant amount of power increase once the new system is properly installed leak free? I'm going from the complete stock exhaust system to the true dual system with hooker comp headers, maximum flow mufflers and no cats. Will I have a BIG smile on my face when I drive it for the first time with the new system installed?

I really appreciate any and all replies to my questions. This is the first major project I'm going to do to my vette. I'm a complete newbie at car mechanics and I hope to learn a great deal about the main problem behind my car. If there is anything else that needs attention and I forgot or out of ignorance didn't know to ask, please let me know. I want this project to install as smoothly and as easily as possible. Let your experiences be my light in this unfamiliar and dark tunnel. Thank you very much!

Israel

Sorry for re-releasing this topic, hopefully a new title will attract people who can answer my questions. :blueangel:

Quick Reply: Questions before installing headers and hooker exhaust system.