C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GAS SMELL

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 11:48 AM
hpr68
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAS SMELL

I have a 68 327/300 coupe. My garage smells like gasoline. I have checked and do not see any visible signs of a leak. The smell does not seem to be coming from the carb. or gas cap. I'm wondering if it could be a gas line. If so how hard are the lines to replace. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, gas tank seems to be in good shape (IE no rust or holes) Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:52 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: GAS SMELL (hpr68)

Sounds like the Gas lines to me....If you sniff in the vents does it Get stronger?? if So u will probably have to drop the tank and replace the rubber lines..It is not that hard to do..I did it about 6 months ago on my car ...Took about and hour and a half with help from a friend
Old 02-22-2002, 12:46 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: GAS SMELL (Alwyn678)

Alwyn,

I took your advice and sniffed mine last weekend and yes, I smelled gas.

When you drop the tank, I've heard there is something (a connection to the tank) that is subject to being broken if your not careful and their are no aftermarket replacements for the part in question. ????????

Can someone please elaborate?
Old 02-22-2002, 12:48 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: GAS SMELL (74-Roadster)

I had success with a buddy reaching up and changing the rubber lines on top of the tank. It was quite interesting when one side of the car was jacked up and gasoline spilled out.

No more gas smells for Miranda.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:26 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: GAS SMELL (mayberg)

The tank can be seeping even if you can't see the leaking areas. Underneath the anti-squeak pads that ride on the bolt-on crossmember is a common area for pinholes and corrosion. Pull the spare tire carrier and look for gas on the "lid" of it.

Shannon
Old 02-22-2002, 05:54 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: GAS SMELL (sb69coupe)

I agree with Shannon. That's where my leaks were. Right above the front gas tank crossmember. It only leaked enough to get the anti squeek pad wet, then it would evaporate, no drip marks.

AC
Old 02-22-2002, 08:38 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I guess you've checked the fuel pump?
Old 02-22-2002, 10:31 PM
Rubyred
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a strong gas smell with my 1963 twice. First time, it was the rubber tube between the tank and the steel fuel rail.

The second time was a leaking carb. It was hard to find because it was small enough that the fuel would evaporate before I checked the carb. Found it when someone else cranked the engine while I checked the carb, etc. You could still have a carb or under hood leak.

Whatever you do, find it as these things can be dangerous.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:35 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

hpr68,

Fix this before driving it again!! When I bought my '74 in the summer of '97, I picked it up about 40 miles from home and smelled fuel all the way home with NO fire extinguisher! I was scared to death that thing was going to burn up! It turned out that the fuel lines by the tank were severely rotted!!

Bob
Old 02-23-2002, 11:25 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: GAS SMELL (74-Roadster)

74-Roadster, I think that "plastic" part that can be easily broken is on '74, maybe back to '72s? when the vapor canister started. On the left side of the tank where the vapor line exits the fuel tank, there is a black plastic "anti-roll", "check-valve"(supposed to stop fuel leaving the tank incase of a roll over) that this vapor line is connected to. If someone was'nt aware of this and dropped their tank down too far before disconnecting the vapor line from it, yes, they could break this nipple off. I know '73 and '74 had it, '75-'77 was a metal connection and was toward the filler neck at the top.

To the original poster, one common place also is the rubber lines between the tank and the main metal lines at the rear. As others have said, the leak maybe only enough to get a smell from, but evaporate before it makes a "puddle" on the ground that you'd see. My '75 had a rubber line last year at the rear where it was "age cracked" and fuel stained the top of the right muffler. Never leaked to the ground, but enough to stain the muffler and dry BEFORE it went to the pavement.

Get notified of new replies

To GAS SMELL

Quick Reply: GAS SMELL