C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP WITH DOOR LOCK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 01:10 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default HELP WITH DOOR LOCK!!!

ok quick summary.. I never had a functional door lock on the drivers side.. if i locked it, i couldnt unlock it (even with the key) so i decided while i had the panels off for repaint i would go ahead and fix it..

First i noticed there wasnt a clip on the upper arm for the lock.. replaced that. then tried to lock it, it worked.. tried to unlock it (with door open) and everything moved.. so i try it with the door closed.. lock it.. wont unlock grr! so being stuck in the car for almost an hour trying to figure out how to unlock it.. so i turn the **** as far as i can, pull the handle and bam it unlocks.... got any suggestions ?????? please
Old 02-22-2002, 07:43 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP WITH DOOR LOCK!!! (Corzvette69)

Since the Shark door locks are fairly easy to remove, why not pull the whole mechanism out and clean it. The door latch could be sticking from some 33 year old grease. When I bought my 72, the passenger door would lock only with great difficulty, to the point that I thought I might break something. I took it apart, soaked it in solvent and cleaned so that it looked new. In addition, I had the rods out, outer door handle off (a mild PITA), and the lock cylinder out. I cleaned everything, regreased everything and then installed it. It all went together fairly well and the door operates like new.

The other advantage to taking it apart is that you can see if either the lock, the door release or the door jamb mechanism is messed up. The two rods from the inner door handle do have adjustable rods on them too.

Gary
Old 02-22-2002, 08:13 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Do pretty much what Gary said, I had the same problem on my 69. With the latch assembly out use some carb or brake cleaner and spray it down good and some white grease to lube it afterwards. Check for the inside lock and opening rods binding and the adjustment of the outside handle rod to opening lever. I found the adjustable elbow for the lock rod bent too.
Gary
Old 02-22-2002, 09:52 AM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 205 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Corey,
I am also in agreement with the Garys! :D It sounds like all you may need to do is adjust you lock rod out a little (increase the length).

I just did a major overhaul of both of my doors. All rods (3 per side) were bent, some worse than others. I straightened them, cleaned all the mechanisms, re-greased everything and installed new anti-rattle grommets. Major improvement on ease of opening/closing and locking/unlocking!! It even eliminated that "everything is falling apart" sound when I close the doors! Very solid now!

To be honest, this project started out as only wanting to install a new gasket behind my driver's side lock cylinder, but it snowballed from there!! :crazy: Well worth the extra effort though!! :cheers:

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

[Modified by QikStik, 8:55 AM 2/22/2002]
Old 02-22-2002, 07:18 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: HELP WITH DOOR LOCK!!! (QikStik)

so far so good. I have the mechanism out of the car. i let it sit in brake clean for about an hour. then dried it off, and it is currently drenched in lithium grease.. I'm gunna let it sit over nite and install it in the morning..

i just hope thats all thats broken.. thanks for the help guys

Get notified of new replies

To HELP WITH DOOR LOCK!!!

Quick Reply: HELP WITH DOOR LOCK!!!