C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much side yoke play?

Old 02-21-2002, 08:12 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How much side yoke play?

I may need to do the diff side yokes :cry I have a spot that looks like a U-bolt has been rubbing the differential housing. One yoke has about .187" in and out play and the other has about .125" I did this one time a few years ago but I don't remember how much play is acceptable. :confused: :chevy
Old 02-21-2002, 10:51 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: How much side yoke play? (silvervetteman)

There has been a lot of discussion on this lately. I have mine out now and they have about .045" which I don't like. Yours sound like they have way too much end play and the case hardening is probably gone.
I have been tryng to gather information on the rebuilt yokes as far as sizing and it seems the spec's are all over the place. A lot depends on the condition of the side gears in the posi and the year of production of the yokes. The late 70's yokes were soft from what I've been told. I'm going to shoot for about .020" when I go through the differential soon. Can you still see the chamfer on the end of the yoke before the snap ring? Sounds like the end of the .187" yoke may be near the snap ring groove too :eek:
Gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 7:20 AM 2/22/2002]
Old 02-21-2002, 10:55 PM
WATTAC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted this a couple of times and have generally had agreement with it. Chevy didn't spec this. The yokes are held in place with C clips inside the differential. They're placed in grooves that are about 0.125 away from the ends of the yokes. New and correctly built differential generally have about 0.020 of play, but like I said this isn't spec'ed and can be more or less. Movement greater than 0.100 indicates the ends of the yokes are worn and need attention. Movements greater than 0.125 could indicate the C clips have fallen out of the grooves or the ends of the yokes have been worn down to inside the groove, and then the C clip falls off for sure. Either way this much movement makes setting up the rear camber next to impossible and should be corrected. Generally new yokes and maybe a new differential pinion pin. The yokes normally wear much more than the pin. Also when you do this drain and flush the differential. All that worn metal is in the lub and should be gotten out before it does any more harm.

Andy
Old 02-21-2002, 11:30 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How much side yoke play? (WATTAC)

when I took my side yokes out I had clearances of

.165 drivers side
.143 passenger

niether side had lost the snap ring however both were close.

look at this image http://earchitect.50megs.com/corvett...fungustips.jpg

New side yokes have been installed and though I have not put the dial indicator on them their movement is 1/16" or less.

There is no doubt that .125 is way too much - replace those yokes ASAP
Old 02-22-2002, 12:37 AM
faster69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done installing a 4:11 diff. in my 69 , while it was apart -back cover was off - I checked yoke end play with a feeler gauge between the end of the yoke and the shaft. I had .030 exactly on both. I called Muskegon brake to fide out if this was good or bad , they said it was very good and go ahead and run it . Oddly enough G.M. never gave a spec oh this. M B said when they are checking these - if there is more than .035 end play they would want to open it up and check the end of the yoke . Rick
Old 02-22-2002, 09:08 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

This is one of the things I checked in the process of disassembling/inspecting my rear suspension. Found about 1/2 mm of play (0.020") and it looks like I'm in pretty good shape. Less would be better I think, but I'm not messing with it. :nonod:

1/8 of an inch like you have is probably in the area where something needs to be done with it and soon.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To How much side yoke play?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much side yoke play?