C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Headlights Manually

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 11:25 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Lowering Headlights Manually

I have a problem with my headlight vacuum system (big suprise huh?). The headlights stay up all the time. I have plenty of documentation (thanks to the forum) on how to fix them, but I haven't had time recently to do it. Tomorrow I'm going to the Corvette Plant and Museum (read: paradise :blueangel:), and I'm taking the car. I'd like to get a good picture of it in front of the museum with the lights down. SO my question is: Is there any way to raise and lower the lights even though I'm an idiot and hooked up my vacuum lines incorrectly?

TIA,
Old 02-21-2002, 11:38 AM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Lowering Headlights Manually (e3pres)

Pull the hose not from the big tube but from where it goes from there and either blow or suck. Yes, that's right. Either blow or suck. I think I used to blow on mine in my 79 to get them up.

[Modified by Stingy74, 9:39 AM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-21-2002, 11:45 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the related post, but this advice is from a fellow forum member and I've done it several times when I had problems with mine. Make sure your headlight switch and overide are off. Reach up underneath the front end behind the grill with your hand until you feel the arm-like joint with the springs on either side. You want to wrap your thumb and middle finger around it and GENTLY pull it toward the front of the car (like reaching behind your knee and pulling forward) until the headlight starts to go down on its own and you should be good to go. Although I wouldn't do it alot, you can raise them back up by pushing up on the base of the same joint until they lock in place. Good luck! :cheers:

[Modified by Marks69BB, 9:49 AM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-21-2002, 11:49 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

OK, I am going out on a limb here and assume that your car's headlight system is identical to my 72. There is a provision in the linkage that allows you to manually raise and lower your headlights. To raise, which doesn't seem to be your problem, all you have to do is to push up on the over-center link and then ensure that the linkage snaps into position. Since this is an over-center link, to lower it you will have to pull down on the same part that you just snapped into position. Find the over-center link and you will see a small rod or bar. Grab that and pull down until the over-center link opens up and then you can just manually pull the headlight door down. My 72 owner's manual tells how to do this. Do you have your owner's manual and does it give you the details on this?
Gary
Old 02-21-2002, 11:53 AM
Skruball73
Burning Brakes

Location: Inside every color vette there is a blue one trying to come out!

yes, there is. you have to get under the front and once you are there you will notice the (I don't know the parts names) armature with an elbow that is locked into place, on that joint, facing towards the engine is a piece of metal that sticks out, it looks like some kind of set screw about as long as your index finger from the tip to the 1st knuckle....just pull on that and it should come down.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:06 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Lowering Headlights Manually (Skruball73)

I had to do this for a lil while... Until I sold the car.. :yesnod: I was getting good at it, was able to "manually" put the lights down in just a few seconds.. :lol:
Old 02-21-2002, 04:33 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll have a good sig pic for you soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering Headlights Manually

Quick Reply: Lowering Headlights Manually