C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody any good at tracing shorts, or has anyone ever had this problem before?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 10:39 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Default Anybody any good at tracing shorts, or has anyone ever had this problem before?

I am having some wiring problems in the last couple of days that I am sure is something grounding itself out that shouldn't be, here are my symptoms,

First dash lights are not working, then I noticed the turn signals are not working, then last night I realized the interior lights are no longer working, which was a blown fuse, all I have to do is touch a new fuse in there and it blows.

Does anyone have a guess where to start? Does it sound like the problem is in the interior, or dash lights?

Thanks for reading,
Tom
Old 02-21-2002, 10:45 AM
KENTUCKY81
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anybody any good at tracing shorts, or has anyone ever had this problem before? (Tom McCabe)

The one thing they all have in common might be the head light switch. That burned out on mine and caused a similar problem.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:12 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Default Re: Anybody any good at tracing shorts, or has anyone ever had this problem before? (Tom McCabe)

Tom-
Not an easy one to start guessing at, of course no electrical problem is...
You didn't mention if the dash lite fuse is blown too. Or is the 'courtesy/lamp' fuse the only one poping? The circuits you mention are fused seperate, but yet have some common components.
I don't tell anyone to start replacing parts until source of prob is solved. As always start w/the easiest stuff to do and move on.
-The cigar lighter is in your int light circuit, and is simple and common to check. Doesn't take much debris to get into the socket and deform it, or short it out. Remove it if you want, disass to check insulators & for corrosion.
-The cigar lighter element itself, remove/inspect & leave it out for now.
-Yes, the light switch as posted above can be a common element for your dash lamps inop. Start w/disconnecting it, try another fuse.
If the simple things don't show anything, then you're into wire tracing. You must find circuit at fault first.
I use homemade circuit breakers w/test leads to repl fuses for diagnostic work. Can give you live circuit time to work, and keep you from buying cases of fuses. Of course you don't want to let a heavy shorting circuit live and popping for long, as it will o'heat wires and lead to worse!
It helps to kinka retrace any recent work too. Have you done any elect work or added any accessories? Could be in that area. (food for thought)
Common area for interior wiring trouble: dash, console & sill harness. General advise, I know, but directional anyway.
I know much of this seems confusing, but take it one fuse/wire/step at a time! Hope this gives you some direction and helps out...get a wiring diagram and take your time. Good Luck -Rod
Old 02-21-2002, 01:22 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anybody any good at tracing shorts, or has anyone ever had this problem before? (ROD NOCK)

Rod,

I just installed a new wiring harness, I was putting the interior back together when I noticed the problem, the cigar lighter isn't hooked up yet, although the dash gauges, and center cluster wires are attached, I was just getting ready ti instal the center gauges and shift consol when I noticed the problem. It almost seems like on another car when I had a bulb break off flush and the socket was grounding out, but that was the first thing I checked. The under dash, and rear compartment lights along with the turn signals were working find the other day. The courtesy light is the only fuse that is popping.
Thanks to all for the replys, keep 'um comming.
Tom
Tom-
Not an easy one to start guessing at, of course no electrical problem is...
You didn't mention if the dash lite fuse is blown too. Or is the 'courtesy/lamp' fuse the only one poping? The circuits you mention are fused seperate, but yet have some common components.
I don't tell anyone to start replacing parts until source of prob is solved. As always start w/the easiest stuff to do and move on.
-The cigar lighter is in your int light circuit, and is simple and common to check. Doesn't take much debris to get into the socket and deform it, or short it out. Remove it if you want, disass to check insulators & for corrosion.
-The cigar lighter element itself, remove/inspect & leave it out for now.
-Yes, the light switch as posted above can be a common element for your dash lamps inop. Start w/disconnecting it, try another fuse.
If the simple things don't show anything, then you're into wire tracing. You must find circuit at fault first.
I use homemade circuit breakers w/test leads to repl fuses for diagnostic work. Can give you live circuit time to work, and keep you from buying cases of fuses. Of course you don't want to let a heavy shorting circuit live and popping for long, as it will o'heat wires and lead to worse!
It helps to kinka retrace any recent work too. Have you done any elect work or added any accessories? Could be in that area. (food for thought)
Common area for interior wiring trouble: dash, console & sill harness. General advise, I know, but directional anyway.
I know much of this seems confusing, but take it one fuse/wire/step at a time! Hope this gives you some direction and helps out...get a wiring diagram and take your time. Good Luck -Rod
Old 02-21-2002, 01:48 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Tom-
OHH! New harness, eh?! Now you tell me! (just kidding) I hope you chose a 'factory equiv' color code harness!? The same logic applies. Now is the time to get out the ohm meter and start tracing wires/components to check for an unwanted short to ground! (while it's still apart) Unpower system 1st.
-Recheck your connections, and also for a 'pinched' wire. Seems like it occured 'right after' int was reinstalled. Sounds like a common thing happened here! Alot of work here! Mark off ea wire/harness branch as you go...
-I would stay w/the courtsey circuit 1st. Start @ fuse block and trace. Be sure the loose ends you haven't connected aren't shorting out! Cover 'em w/tape for now.
Process of elimination Tom, it's a PITA!
Good Luck -Rod
Old 02-21-2002, 05:49 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anybody any good at tracing shorts, or has anyone ever had this problem before? (ROD NOCK)

Rod,

Thanks again, at least the Courtesy light are easy to check.

Thanks,
Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody any good at tracing shorts, or has anyone ever had this problem before?

Quick Reply: Anybody any good at tracing shorts, or has anyone ever had this problem before?