C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out this big block!!! Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 09:59 AM

Default Check out this big block!!! Good deal?

Read the entire description and give me your opinion on this. This shop is only a couple of hours from me, so delivery won't be an additional charge. 600 HP on pump gas out of a 454 block, very nice... :yesnod:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...tem=1806657969

What do you think?

Thanks,
Rob

[Modified by RLH, 9:04 AM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-21-2002, 10:20 AM
Black68Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Check out this big block!!! Good deal? (RLH)

Can I tell you what I like best? at a 9.2:1 compression, you can still do a centrifugal supercharger on it like the ATI Procharger (the D1-SC), and get into the 900hp range if you wanted to...

their url is http://www.procharger.com

Old 02-21-2002, 11:05 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a nice motor. For $5300 you couldn't build something like this. The intake might cause problems fitting under the hood but a little work on the underside of the hood and a 2 inch drop based air cleaner will fit.
Sure would wake any vet up.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:30 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Check out this big block!!! Good deal? (norvalwilhelm)

Soooooooo Rob, which vette would ya drop that puppy in? Or were you thinkin about your SUV? :jester Ask him if that Mk IV block is a bowtie block which is what I've got. If so, with it's siamesed cylinders, it could be bored up to a 540 if you want more power later (which you will!). Sounds like he's got the cam in that thing like I'm lookin for! Also, is the HP he's quoting gross or net? And, if he has it, ask for a copy of the dyno sheet from this engine that proves it.

Are you thinking of putting it in one of your C3s or starting a C2 'project'? Whatever you do, it'd be nice havin another BB car around again to keep the C5 guys at bay! :cool:

[Modified by Marks69BB, 9:34 AM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-21-2002, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Check out this big block!!! Good deal? (Marks69BB)

Mark all excellent points. He says that they have dyno sheets and that they build 4-5 big block chevy's a week, sounds like a fairly nice shop down in the Charlotte area.

I am still undecided on the C2 or C3, I had to pass on a pretty nice 71 coupe a couple of weeks ago, cause we are heavy with the others now. But, with a little luck, those will go soon. I must have 10 or so people interested in the 72', several in the yellow 73, and one guy on the 73 big block survivor. Once we unload those, which I really want to keep the 72 convertible, I'll try to decide where to go. I have called on a couple of 67's convertibles too, but they are always sold by the time I call. :rolleyes:
Old 02-21-2002, 01:07 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Personally, I think I'd stay away from it... If you look close at the picture from the back view, you'll see they are using spacers for the intake. What they are not telling you is that they are using a "tall deck" truck block. To some that may not make a difference in the world, but if it didn't I think more people would be using them. BTW, that orange paint hides that fact rather well don't ya think?? :eek:

[Modified by 70PurpleLS7, 12:24 PM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-21-2002, 01:16 PM
Brian-74-454
Safety Car

I'd be sure to get some solid proof that the engine is putting out what it says. It's a pretty low price for the number IMO, but as someone said, if it's a truck block, it may make up for the cost of the block being less.... and let me assure you, the one thing that I found when I was trying to get my 454 rebuilt a while back, the blocks are few and far between. This is the only reason that I can see that they'd use a truck motor.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:17 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Check out this big block!!! Good deal? (70PurpleLS7)

Good call, Purple! Engine sounds great, but the tall deck might be problematic in a 'vette.

Hans
Old 02-21-2002, 01:40 PM
ruskus
Instructor

I have been looking at the 454 they have listed. Have sent a couple of emails with questions but have not gotten a response. How did you get him to answer? I have emailed two other guys who recently purchased big blocks from him. They will let me know how the engines look and work as soon as they arrive and gettem installed. Pricing seems great though.

Old 02-21-2002, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Check out this big block!!! Good deal? (ruskus)

ruskus, that would be good info. to get. If they are using the older truck blocks, then the others might run into some problems. Interesting about the email response, they responded to my message within an hour?
Old 02-21-2002, 02:52 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

They stuck a FRAM oil filter on there. I wonder what else they are skimping on? :rolleyes:
Old 02-21-2002, 04:42 PM
ruskus
Instructor

Yeah - I resent the email again today. Still nothing. Weird.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:59 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason for the reported HP has to be the cam..........it must be wild;
Old 02-25-2002, 11:49 AM
ruskus
Instructor

RLH, was wondering if you were going to visit the shop? Received an answer to my questions last Friday.
Russ
Old 02-25-2002, 11:56 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Check out this big block!!! Good deal? (70PurpleLS7)

Tall deck blocks are preferred in my mind!
Better Rod Stroke ratio
More room for rings on the piston...
Stronger...

The spacer is the only downside...

Personally, I think I'd stay away from it... If you look close at the picture from the back view, you'll see they are using spacers for the intake. What they are not telling you is that they are using a "tall deck" truck block. To some that may not make a difference in the world, but if it didn't I think more people would be using them. BTW, that orange paint hides that fact rather well don't ya think?? :eek:
Old 02-25-2002, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Check out this big block!!! Good deal? (ruskus)

RLH, was wondering if you were going to visit the shop? Received an answer to my questions last Friday.
Russ
Russ, haven't made any plans to yet. I am still looking for a "donor" car for a motor like this. Once I find the car, then I will probably get serious on a built BB, then I'll probably try to set up a visit.

What was their response to your questions? Oh yeah, what kind of questions did you ask them? :lol:
Old 02-25-2002, 01:53 PM
ruskus
Instructor

What was their response to your questions? Oh yeah, what kind of questions did you ask them? :lol:
RLH - I asked about the following:

Carb size : 750 double pump ok
Water pump : uses normal rotation long style pump
Fuel pump : my electric ok, 8-12 psi
Oil : break in with normal oil, then ok to change to synthetic
Warranty : 12 months parts and labor upon receipt, voided if used for racing or if it is disassembled.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:22 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Compare a crate 502/502 and the warranties both get. Also the tall deck makes for a bad fit under a stock hood.

Get notified of new replies

To Check out this big block!!! Good deal?

Quick Reply: Check out this big block!!! Good deal?