C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 04:46 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas.

I broke a head off of a seat hinge screw when I was taking one of my seats apart to re-cover it. I attempted to remove the rest with an EZ-out and snapped it off in the screw. It's the first time I've ever done that. I've been trying to drill through the EZ-out with titanium and colbalt drill bits. They just kind of seem to spin there, it's almost impossible to get through it. There is nothing there for me to grab with a pair of pliars, and I can't get at it with a drill from the other side. I need to get this screw out without increasing the hole size. The hinge screws are special screws, so I need to retain this thread size.

Any ideas? I feel so screwed.

Old 02-21-2002, 07:49 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas. (Steve Straus)

Steve, samething happened to me, I took my seat frame to work and the machine shop got it out. I used an impact screw driver to get the rest of my screws out of the frames.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:59 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas. (68rdstr)

EZ outs are pretty hard and I think they might have to be "burnt" out (EDM or electro discharge machining, like reverse welding.)

I'm not familiar with the spot you're referring to on the seat frame: can you drill around the ez out with a small hole saw, then weld in a nut? Or use a heli-coil?

I don't know what material they're made of: I wonder if heating with a torch would anneal and soften it so it could be drilled?
:confused:
Old 02-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas. (Steve Straus)

I've had luck with a diamond tip drill bit...it cut through the ez-out slowly, but drilled it out...Whew!! They are expensive.... but worked for me!! :smash:
Old 02-21-2002, 09:53 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas. (Silvr77)

I cant say I have any Ideas but I feel your Pain! Been there recently myself! :( :cry
Old 02-21-2002, 10:36 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas. (Mike69)

Ouch,
They are total Bar Stewards to remove. The only guaranteed way I know of is to have them spark eroded out, but you'd need the part off of the car & if it was, then you wouldn't have the problem. Is there enough "meat around the hole to make a series of small holes (carefully without breaking the drill bit in there, causing even more problems)? If there is then you can drill all around the thread & go up in drill size until the holes join so that the whole lot comes out (if you follow what I mean!). Then you run a large drill bit through the mess to clean it up, cut a convenient thread & then wind in a piece of bolt/whatever of the same thread, with a hole drilled concentrically & taped out at the original thread size (like a Timesert, the things you use when helicoils have been stripped!). Phew. But you do need to have enough metal around it to do this.
If not, or it's just too much effort, then spend out on a diamond tipped drill & carefully drill out the EZ out. Whatever you do, stay :cool: It's surprising how much more agro you can cause yourself if you go ballistic!
(I've seen a guy remove a broken EZout by making use of the fact that it is brittle - he just used a punch & large hammer to shatter it bit by bit by beating hell out of it. I wouldn't recommend this method though).
Good luck
Old 02-21-2002, 11:01 AM
TerryN68
Instructor

As UKPaul stated they are very brittle. I've had success with the shatter method by freezing the easyout with a CO2 fire extinguisher and then hitting with a pin punch. The obvious safty hazard of using CO2 in a confined area must be considered.

T
Old 02-21-2002, 11:02 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas. (UKPaul)

I don't know if this is possible but in times past I have ground/cut a slot into the head of the stud (or easy-out) and used a flat screwdriver to remove.

Good Luck
Old 02-21-2002, 12:14 PM
jvm
Racer

I would try the srew driver slot trick if there is enough to get at. use a cut off blade in a dremal tool. I have also used soild carbide drills to get screws out when they were hard. Just go easy, put some Kroil on it also.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:06 PM
vert2go89
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas. (jvm)

If you can get a pointed tool of some kind and knock on the easy out with the pressure so to turn the easy out the opposite way it is used then you can sometimes get the easy out out.Drilling is almost impossible since the easy out is hard tensil steel.I have seen etchers used to get things out as the vibration of the etcher will loosen it and let it start to turn also.Again go opposite direction of the easy out to get it out.An easy out tightens to the left turn so go right turn.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:38 PM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Luckily my brother works in a machine shop. Thank God!! HE took care of it in a few minutes. DO you know anyone who works in a tool/machine shop? Good luck.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:59 PM
jvm
Racer

I have also used carbide burs in dermel tools to get screws out. If nothing else drill a hole in it with the carbide bit and break it out with a chisle
Old 02-21-2002, 09:39 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas. (jvm)

If you have access to an air compressor get a die grinder and some small stones or carbide burr ball and grind it out. The die grinder is much more powerful than a dremmal tool.
Jeff
Old 02-22-2002, 10:00 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas. (jeff batchelor)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

All of the drilling has fused the screw and the ez-out into one unit. The tapping and slotting methods won't work, I did try slotting it before I drilled though.

I'll call a few machine shops around here and see what they can do.

The nut plate is a rectangle 1" by 1.5" steel plate that's welded in, so burning it off would be somwhat of a challenge.

I'll call a few machine shops around here and see what they can do.

Old 02-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Steve - can you grind the welds off the nut plate? Might be easier than dragging that whole frame around...
Old 02-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas. (Frank75)

Steve - can you grind the welds off the nut plate? Might be easier than dragging that whole frame around...
I was thinking about that last night. I'm going to go buy a die grinder today.

Hey, at least I have an excuse to buy a new air tool now :D
Old 02-23-2002, 06:24 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Okay, I spent 100 bucks today and bought a cut-off tool and a die grinder (woohoo, new air tools!!) and got the plate cut out. I'm just going to try and use a nylon insert nut with a lock washer. I figure if it doesn't work out (which I cant see why it wouldn't) I can always take it out and weld a plate in.

Thank god for air tools.

Get notified of new replies

To Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas.

Quick Reply: Dammit!! Broke an ez out off in a seat frame screw, need ideas.