C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maaaco North Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 01:47 AM
fastback79
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maaaco North Jersey

After many painfull hours, I finally finished wetsanding the weathered 23 year old finish on my 79 vette. The body is smooth as glass and all cracks, scratches and dings are repaired. I am thinking of attempting to paint the car myself but, has anyone had any good experience with the Maaco locations in Northern Jersey? I already painted the rear deck myself using black GM exterior paint in aerosol. Came out gorgeous, but had to do a lot more sanding and buffing. I want the body ready for spring so I am considering a reliable Maaco. Any thoughts?
Old 02-21-2002, 01:53 AM
4_inch_Bore
Instructor

Default Re: Maaaco North Jersey (fastback79)

I do my own painting, but I wouldn't hesitate using Maaco if budget were a concern and I wasn't worried about show quality.
The main (not the only) difference between a good and a great paint job is the preparation, and it sounds like you've done it well.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:12 AM
fastback79
Racer

I want something that will look good but does not have to be Bloomington Gold. I don't see the need to spend thousands of dollars on paint since I usually suffer vette withdrawl and feel the need to drive the vette during the winter months here in Jersey. I've had some good practice with the orbital polisher and 800-1200 grit wet sandpaper, so I don't think maintining a low budget paint job will be too dificult. Especially since it is black.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:10 AM
Tedardo
Advanced

The better prep work you do the better a Maaco job will look. My brother sent his camaro to maaco about 2 months ago, and so far so good. You might also consider buying a higher quality paint than they spray at maaco, and have them spray with that.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:46 PM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

If you are going black..You better make sure the car is straight...Black is the worst color to paint if the car isn't straight...Poor body work on a black car will show....As for macco..They paint a lot of cars..they know how to paint..But I would recommend you do most of the removal and masking.....Good luck
Old 02-25-2002, 04:24 PM
7T6HER
Advanced

I used MAACO in New Brunswick. Do your detailed masking, especially under the hood. They will spry anything that is not covered.

Ask for Jerry
Old 02-25-2002, 04:36 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Maaaco North Jersey (7T6HER)

Also, ask about the paint. Some of the Maaco outlets out here will spray anything you want, but the "house" brand is low-end stuff. They shoot a lot of the older vehicles in the fleet I run, and I have had good results with their base/clear jobs. It's the same as always; you get what you pay for...

Hans

Hans
Old 02-25-2002, 11:31 PM
fastback79
Racer

Default Re: Maaaco North Jersey (Wrencher)

Yeah I heard they are pretty liberal with customers supplying the paint. Dupont or Sherwin Williams would be a possibility. Although I wonder if they would warranty it.

Get notified of new replies

To Maaaco North Jersey

Quick Reply: Maaaco North Jersey