C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil overfill and possible engine damage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 01:15 AM
spiru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil overfill and possible engine damage?

Background: My original oil stick piece broke a month ago so I replaced it with a look a like part for the 350. Problem is its hard to pull the stick out and I'm thinking maybe this is causing a false oil level. Anyway, today I checked the oil level and saw that it was about a qt low so I refilled it to the proper level, but a few minuets after I left my house I could smell oil burning and later the car started to bog down. My question is, do you think a possible overfill may have caused some engine damage? The car run fine before this event.

Thanks,
Chaz
Old 02-21-2002, 01:22 AM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Oil overfill and possible engine damage? (spiru)

I can't think that it would cause damage...as some people always run an extra quart to keep the pickup submerged under hard acceleration and/or turning. But, maybe I'm smoking crack. :smash:
Old 02-21-2002, 01:28 AM
spiru
Instructor

Default Re: Oil overfill and possible engine damage? (rainman69)

I can't think that it would cause damage...as some people always run an extra quart to keep the pickup submerged under hard acceleration and/or turning. But, maybe I'm smoking crack. :smash:
I wouldn't have thought so either, :confused: but the car is running like crap now.... :(

[Modified by spiru, 5:29 AM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-21-2002, 01:57 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Is it possible to have gotten the end of the dip stick into the rotating assemblies???
Old 02-21-2002, 02:04 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Excess oil can cause damage. The Chilton's guide warns:
"It may result in oil-fouled spark plugs, oil leaks caused by oil seal failure, or engine damage due to foaming of the oil."

I assume it wouldn't have caused any damage if you only ran it for a short period of time but if you've been cruiseing around on the highway I'd be worried. Foaming allows air to get pumped into cam and crank bearings. Just too much oil could make it run lousy. My suggestion would be to drain the oil that is in there now and measure it. Replace the filter and throw in 5 quarts. This way you will know you have the proper amount of oil in the engine. Take a test drive then. If it runs like crap after the oil change there is still the hope of coincidence but the idea of engine damage is more possible. :(

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2002, 02:13 AM
spiru
Instructor

Default Re: Oil overfill and possible engine damage? (Cookwithvette)

Thanks Cookwithvette for the info, that's what I was planning to do just to make certain of an overfill.

Chaz

Get notified of new replies

To Oil overfill and possible engine damage?

Quick Reply: Oil overfill and possible engine damage?