C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working on differential crossmember support--need help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 08:47 PM
8T8T2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working on differential crossmember support--need help...

Working on wife's 82. It has the classic corvette squat when put into gear. Just by crawling under and looking with flashlite and mirror can't tell if the bushings need replacing. So I thought I'd check the torque on the bolt, of course the whole thing turns. Laid under the car for a hour trying to get a wrench on the top of the bolt so I could tightened it down if needed. Can anyone give me some insite and the how to on this. If I do need to replace anyone have any tips?? :confused: :cry
Old 02-20-2002, 09:30 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Working on differential crossmember support--need help... (82zoom)

I removed my driveshaft before removing the pinion snubber but it seems like I can recall another forum member stating that he did it without removing the driveshaft.
Once the driveshaft is removed, it is VERY easy to get to but I'm sure that you have probably already came to that conclusion. :D
Old 02-21-2002, 01:14 PM
8T8T2
Racer

Default Re: Working on differential crossmember support--need help... (MIKER)

Thanks Miker. Is there anyone out there that has done this without removing the drive shaft? If I do have to remove whats the best procedure to do this?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

I think there's some confusion as to what you're looking at. If it's the differential cover with the integrated crossmember, there's a large bushing on each end that's bolted to the frame. Is this what you're trying to replace? If so, you'll have to pull it off the car. Not a difficult task, and you can do it without removing the carrier. The bushings are fairly large and have an outer and inner sleeve. I've never remove one, but it looks like it needs to be pressed out. There's a lot of rubber in there, so even though the outer rubber flange appears to have cracks, the inner part of the bushing may still be in fine shape. Unless it's really wigged out, it's not the cause of the excessive squatting problem. Could just be a weak spring. Not much else under there.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:32 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Likewise, I can't really tell which bolt you're trying to grab, though I've been all through my '82's rear must be a zillion times.

My :conehead sage advice is (drumroll please)...

Miniature longnose vice grips work wonders on such things.

-Noel

Get notified of new replies

To Working on differential crossmember support--need help...

Quick Reply: Working on differential crossmember support--need help...