C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusty window frame can crack windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 05:01 PM
bl75vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rusty window frame can crack windshield?

Body shop is replacing the windshield they cracked while repainting the car. Had the car for 3 months!!. Agreed to replace free of charge, BUT!!! he is now claiming that the rusty windshield frame is the cause of the crack. Has anyone heard of this or is this a line of BS?
Old 02-20-2002, 08:16 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Rusty window frame can crack windshield? (bl75vette)

This is absolutely possible.

Glass needs to be properly supported. A windshield frame that allows movement all but guarantees broken glass. You need to inspect it yourself. If the frame is in trouble, it will quite likely be pretty obvious.

If the frame is in trouble, I would repair the windshield frame before installing new glass + painting it, for sure.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:29 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rusty window frame can crack windshield? (45ACP)

ABSOLUTELY POSSIBLE! I have pics of mine and that was the cause. Let me find the pics and I will post them.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:37 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Default Re: Rusty window frame can crack windshield? (Maurice)

Sure, but only if it is rusted badly so that the structural integrity is lost.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:00 PM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

I had my windshield removed and replaced with new glass just before I painted it( I checked the entire windshield frame when the glass was out..The thing was perfect)..I then painted the frame and had the installer install the new glass..He messed up and installed the side rubber moldings under the glass..He wrestled with it for a while and eventualy got it out....A week later I painted and baked the car..When I removed the paper from the windshield the glass was cracked..At the same corner the installer had the mishap....He replaced the windshield again at no cost..Stating that must have chipped the glass at the lower corner and the heat from the booth expanded the windshield and cracked it....I have had the same thing happen to me 3 times on different cars I have restored ..They went in to the booth with a small crack and came out with a major crack....... :smash: :smash: :smash:...Here a story for you:crazy: .. The other morning I got into my new 300m which had a small crack in the windshield....I hit the defroster to melt the ice on the windshield and heard what sounded like Ice cracking...The windshield cracked from side to side right in front of my eyes.:eek: . The fracture started at the crack..Go figure... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Kind of long winded ..But just want to say...It might not be anybodys fault..there could have been a small crack on the windshield before it went into the booth...But check the frame just the same..Good luck
Old 02-20-2002, 09:35 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: Rusty window frame can crack windshield? (Chris@VetteFinders)

My cracked winshield actually started from rust coming up under the passenger side of the winsheild. It only took a small bit of rust to push out the windshield (Quarter size) and then I guess a bump in the rode or something was all it took to cause it to finally crack. Can't get to the homepage right now to upload picture.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:45 PM
tom75
Racer

Thats how i found out about my rust problem. I came out to my car and ther was a 5" crack on the passenger side bottom of windshield and sure enough there was rust under there. Tom :chevy
Old 02-21-2002, 12:21 AM
Aaron76
Pro

Default Re: Rusty window frame can crack windshield? (tom75)

That is the secret when buying a c3 make sure the window frame in not rotton. The rest of the car might be great and yet the window frame may be toast. It is a horable surprise to find. :reddevil
Old 02-21-2002, 12:54 AM
71vettman
Racer

rust will definitely cause a windshield to crack. when I got my car it was cracked completely through on both sides because there was no longer support. the windshield frame was rusted so bad it was missing in the upper corners. as long as the rust dosent go all the way down you can replace the frame fairly easily.
Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Rusty window frame can crack windshield?

Quick Reply: Rusty window frame can crack windshield?