C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CSI Mini Starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 04:25 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CSI Mini Starter

Believe it or not I'm hoping my starter is bad. (the original, not the CSI)

Here is the trouble: I've changed starters before on other cars but they have always been OEM replacements... Unbolt old bolt in new. This new starter, CSI Platinum Pro, came with a package of shims and strict sounding instructions for checking clearances in several locations. The starter is designed to fit a variety of GM engines.

Has anybody put one of these in a Corvette 350 with an automatic? If I know what shims to use (or not use) I can install the starter in my driveway. If I can't I'll have to have it towed and hope the garage does it right. :( Not exactly my favorite option.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2002, 10:53 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: CSI Mini Starter (Cookwithvette)

Well seeing how nobody's answering you. I just signed on and read your post.
You should be able to install the starter in your driveway and not have a problem. They put those shims in case you need to modify the engagement clearences. "MOST" times nothing needs to be done, the starter slips in and works. You can usually tell after the starter is in wether any shimming is needed as you can hear the difference. Then drive it to a hoist and shim with lots of light so you can see where it needs shimming.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:10 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

I have a mini starter also. It was straight forward install. I started with just one shim just for the heck of it. I had a friend with me so he could click the selinoid and i could watch the engaugement on the flywheel. I ended up with @75% tooth engaugement and the installation paper said that it was fine.

They work great and you just have to get used to the different sound. but they work so much better I would never go back to OEM.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:40 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: CSI Mini Starter (Lt1er)

Thank you very much guys! I have a friend with a "real" driveway, I'll try to throw the new starter in here and drive over there to check the clearances.

Turns out I might not have needed the new starter but that's another post. :crazy:

Thanks again for the help!

-Matt
Old 02-21-2002, 02:01 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turns out I might not have needed the new starter but that's another post. :crazy:
I think that follow the quote of another forum member, not sure htough

"If its nott broke, Fix it till is!" :D i love that one :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To CSI Mini Starter

Quick Reply: CSI Mini Starter