C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb questions??? what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 04:01 PM
ykp53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb questions??? what to do?

I am having some problems with off the line acceleration. I have a edelbrock proformer rpm #1910 on a chevy 454, stock cam, k&n filter, duel exhaust, with no cats. The car will bog down when you floor it from idle. Secondly the car bogs down and cuts out at WOT at the second, third shift. The timing is set at 32deg at full advance with the vaccumm pluged. The idle screws are set a 2 1/2 turn out. i do not think the secondaries are opening due to the fact that after running the car for 4 hours the catch to keep the secondaries from opening still would not let the pin pass. i have recently changed the plugs , wires and distributor, and within to weeks the plugs were fouled. Do you have any advice on what might be causing these problems. Am i running to rich or to lean? what jets and metter rods should i be using? Lars... Anyone?
Old 02-21-2002, 02:48 PM
ykp53
Racer

Default Re: carb questions??? what to do? (ykp53)

come on guys.... i need some help please...
Old 02-21-2002, 03:21 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: carb questions??? what to do? (ykp53)

Bogging and cutting out at high RPMs could be from a couple different things. On my car it was the fuel filter, if you have that little sintered brass filter in the inlet of your carb, junk it, if you have a canister filter try changing it. Other guys have had the same thing happen with a weak fuel pump, your pump should put out 6 to 9 psig at any RPM.
I also have a question about your advance curve, at what RPM do you have your full mechanical advance in, it should be all in by 2500 to 3000 RPMS? And is 32* your total advance? If so, that might be a little low, 36* is a more typical total advance number.
Don't give up on the forum, Lars is cut off from the forum during the day and can't respond directly to posts.
Old 02-21-2002, 04:56 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: carb questions??? what to do? (Smokehouse69)

From what little I've learned so far, it's the fast idle cam mechanism that prevents your secondaries from opening. Is your fast idle stiking or the choke set way too rich? Does the choke open fully after about 5 minutes?

Get notified of new replies

To carb questions??? what to do?

Quick Reply: carb questions??? what to do?