C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wouldn't a chat room be nice?

Old 02-19-2002, 10:21 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wouldn't a chat room be nice?

By the time a post a response, two or three other quick typing forum dwellers respond! I wish the forum had chat rooms, that would be cool...

[Modified by 74jack, 9:22 PM 2/19/2002]
Old 02-20-2002, 03:06 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Wouldn't a chat room be nice? (74jack)

It's been setup for months, but no one uses it!

www.vettechat.com

Check it out!
Old 02-20-2002, 03:08 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Wouldn't a chat room be nice? (ddn)

lots of work places block 'chat' type web sites by filtering all web site destinations through proxies.
:rolleyes:
Old 02-20-2002, 03:37 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Wouldn't a chat room be nice? (ylose)

This is true in some cases, but VetteChat is not a web-based chat. It's IRC. You need to use an IRC client. Whether or not you can do that at work is probably up to..well whoever.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:45 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

On occasion a forum has started an AIM chat (America Online instant messaging) that several people have participated in. It's cool but dies quick unless there's something good to talk about. Moves very fast too.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:52 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

cool....i didnt check it out ddn.
i use Mirc at home alot and love it....i'll look into that channel.
Its easier than using a phone for me and my friends..we have our own channel and can post when we leave to meet up somewhere or go out on the town...

FYI - IRC uses a port to communicate 666x-700x...so this is blocked even easier at work locations at the firewall.....lots of reasons for this.
this is a basic statement below of why they do this......and with auto DCC...someone could plant a back door into someones network in seconds if the person running IRC isnt technical or watching ones downloads.

IRC scripts are sets of commands that your client will run. Many otherwise good scripts have been hacked so that if you load them, you can seriously compromise your security (someone can get into your account, delete all of your files, read your mail, etc.). There are also evildoers who try to send people viruses and other bad things. Just like in real life, don't accept anything from a stranger. There have been many incidents of this type, not just a few. Do not ever run a script unless you know what each line does, not even if it is given to you by a friend, as your friend may not have the expertise to detect well-hidden "trojans".

Automatic DCC (allowing someone to send files to you without being asked, anotherwards downloading files to your PC) get is a very bad idea! Once it is on, you are susceptible to dangers ranging from disconnection from your server to giving someone else control of your computer. Quite a few people have run into serious problems because of the DCC autoget setting.

here is some good info on windows irc security related issues : http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/security/

dont want to alarm anyone...i love MIRC....I just dont want a fellow forum member getting hacked if they kick this up and leave doors open.
:D :cheers:

[Modified by ylose, 1:56 PM 2/20/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Wouldn't a chat room be nice?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wouldn't a chat room be nice?