C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 09:34 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal

Forum members, please take a look at the web page below. We are offering a kit to change over the brake booster on C3 Corvettes to a hydraulic assist system. I run one of these on my car and it really works well. The kit was developed by myself and an ASE Master Tech. Check out the site for more information.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/maxboogie/

Old 02-26-2002, 08:39 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal (dman535)

Derek,
I have this system in my car and it works great....I got rid of the Extra Summit vacuum boost canister and the brake booster all in one shot. Brakes are just like power brakes on a brand new car....Press down about 1/8" and you can feel them start to grab....press down another 1/8" and the tires lock up....very nice tapping after high speed runs and have the feel of solid brakes instantly slowing you down......I also like all the extra room available in the engine compartment..... :seeya Cappy
Old 02-26-2002, 09:15 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Anybody have an extra $700.00 laying around that I can borrow? Seriously though, it looks like a great system, but a little pricey!! :nonod:
Old 02-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought one of those units in like-new condition for $100 including shipping. What's the extra $600 buy me with your system?

-Joe

[Modified by Flareside, 8:50 PM 2/26/2002]
Old 02-26-2002, 09:58 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal (Flareside)

It does seem rather expensive! What justifies that price?
Old 02-27-2002, 09:30 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the exact system I have been pushing for the last year. It cost me $50CDN complete at the wrecking yard. It is off anything from a 83 and up truck or van diesel. I just bought one off a 94 one ton truck. The plate that comes with the unit already fits the corvette firewall. I just turn it 180 degrees to get the hoses to come out underneath.
It is very powerful and compact.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:03 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal (norvalwilhelm)

Norval is right, you can get those through your local wrecking yard for chump change. Very common on deisel trucks.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:47 AM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal (Smokehouse69)

I have the same system stock on my 85 Caprice wagon, 305. I thought it would be an easy swap over to a vette with chevy part numbers.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:18 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal (norvalwilhelm)

Norval: How did you hook it up to the PS pump? T-piece? Or did you have to make custom hoses?

This does look like a nice solution to gain room and better brakes on my 454...
Old 02-27-2002, 11:38 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal (zwede)

Guys this is a very good compact powerful cheap unit. For $50 I bought a like new unit for a 94 one ton truck. These unit never fail so the wrecking yards don't sell many. I tried to talk Steve into this unit to clear his valve cover.
I went to a local hydraulic shop and had them make me stainless flex lines with crimped on ends, very nice lines about 1/4 inch id.
I Tee the return line with a Tee. Since it is low pressure it could be a simple hose clamp connection or like mine I went with the nice red and Blue Earl fittings and tee.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:43 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal (zwede)

Markus, this should tell you what you need to know. -Joe

Old 02-27-2002, 12:17 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Norval and Joe, too cool :cool: , Thank-You
Old 02-27-2002, 12:25 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal (7Bob3)

What would you guys deam as a palatable price for a kit like this ? We are talking re-maned, not used boost or junkyard unit and hi-po power steering line and fittings. There is no fabrication, its literally a bolt in here. Let me know your thoughts either on the forum or email them directly to me.

Thanks

Derek.-
Old 02-27-2002, 12:26 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal (7Bob3)

And yet another performance upgrade for me to do to my car :D . Thanks!
Old 02-27-2002, 03:02 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

$700 american is a little high. The used units at the wrechers are $50 to $100 and are usually in perfect shape. They don't cause problems. Rebuilt units are $325 plus CDN. Does the average guy need the added expense of a rebuilt. The lines I don't have a clue since I get them custom made in stainless flex with crimped on ends from a local hydraulic store.
You are looking to make something of coarse but these units are too cheap at the wreckers and very simple to modify. Other then cutting a 3/8th coarse thread on the rod for the stock clevis and lock nut and turning the plate around 180 degrees to put the hoses underneath the unit bolts right in. I also use the studs that come with the unit and install them in the firewall to make installation and removal a snap.
I have been offering anyone help for the last year for nothing. Verbal that is.
Guys this is a very good unit. It will make your C3 stop instantly. Well maybe not. But I can lock all 4 tires if I chose without effort.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:24 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

What would you guys deam as a palatable price for a kit like this ? We are talking re-maned, not used boost or junkyard unit and hi-po power steering line and fittings. There is no fabrication, its literally a bolt in here. Let me know your thoughts either on the forum or email them directly to me.

Thanks

Derek.-
I think my heart stopped when I saw how much the kit was! That's C5 pricing!!

I'm trying to give you my opinion, so hopefully this will come across as being constructive. If the cost of this kit were half, lets say $350, I would still have had the same reaction. I find it hard to swallow since norvalwilhelm's way is known, and that's a method that others have used successfully.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:28 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Um, let's see... Power steering pump to brake system, brake system to power steering, brake system to pump, power steering to pump. The power steering hasn't got a high pressure line of its own from the pump... Or is the steering box connection on the brake booster just a continuation of the line?

Please confirm that there is no interaction between the steering and braking systems. I'd hate to have the brake boost change 'cause I'm turning the wheel, or the steering change under braking... You get the idea.

Another issue: I'm running an underdrive pulley setup. Stiffening of the steering doesn't seem to be really important at extremely low RPM, but if the brakes change characteristics that might be a problem. I could imagine bumping cars at the toll booths. At idle, a vacuum assist system is typically working best, though with a long cam that statement could be debated. I seem to have enough vacuum (15" or so) at idle. What's this hydraulic boost system feel like at idle with lower pressure?

-Noel

[Modified by Noel Carboni, 7:35 PM 2/27/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal

Old 02-27-2002, 03:41 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal

I spent some time researching this before I bought one. Around the US, it seems the going rate is between $75 and $100 for a used unit in good working order with a 60 or 90 day warranty. Remanufactured units are going for around $225 from normal auto parts suppliers. Napaonline.com has them. Maybe you can find them cheaper? My hoses were around $100 with high quality AN style fittings (Summit sells Earl's and Aeroquip power steering fittings).

That said, I think I would have paid around $400 for a kit if it was available. I have certainly done it cheaper myself, but the convenience would make it worth the price. With a used unit instead of the reman, the price would be more like $275. I wouldn't have to figure out the mounts and threading, etc.

I would look at this upgrade just like the Steeriods rack and pinion I just bought. I could have bought all the parts myself to build a kit, but at their $995 price it didn't make sense. They get the parts wholesale, and sell the kit to us at retail. When I priced all the separate parts retail, they came very close to the kit price. It was a no-brainer...

What do I know, you'll probably sell a thousand of them ;) Good luck.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

palatable price? I'd say $200-$250
is this realastic? I don't know....
Old 02-27-2002, 03:45 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal (Monkeywrench)

palatable price? I'd say $200-$250
is this realastic? I don't know....
The reman unit alone costs that much... He'd be working for free :)

Quick Reply: Brake Assist Upgrade - Firm Up The Brake Pedal