C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seatbelt advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 09:09 PM
Hokievette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt advice needed

The lap belts in my 73 are not working properly. The driver's belt will not pull out and the passenger belt will not retract. Does anyone know where I can find replacement belts or is it possible to rebuild what I have? I've seen some replacement belts advertised for over $600 in vette parts catalogs. I really don't want to spend that kind of money. Does anyone know if there's a belt from another car that will work? Help.
Jim
Old 02-19-2002, 09:23 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Seatbelt advice needed (Hokievette)

I belive '93-'98 rear Camaro belts will go in without any mods, or so its been said, i am going to try this in a few weeks actually, i can let ya know how it goes... :)

good luck :cool:
Old 02-19-2002, 09:36 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ssnake-Oyl restores factory seat belts & hardware for a small fraction of what new repros or NOS belts cost.

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 8:43 PM 2/19/2002]
Old 02-19-2002, 09:50 PM
jrh74cp
Instructor

I put in a set I found at Juliano's. $89 a side for new belts and retractors, I couldn't go wrong. If originality isn't a major concern, give them a look.
http://www.julianos.com
Old 02-19-2002, 10:50 PM
Geoff1340
Instructor

a friend at a body shop contacted a junk (salvage) yard and got me a set of like new camaro/firebird rear belts for nothing, said they could not legally resell used safety equipment. They fit like OEM and I feel alot better as my old belts were in sad shape....
Old 02-20-2002, 01:23 PM
stingray72
Burning Brakes

Jimmy, if you don't have any use for the original 73 belts, I will take them off your hands!

George
Old 02-20-2002, 08:47 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Try Ssnake-Oyl. I have a 76 with a Firethorn interior and they matched the color perfectly. They also rechromed the ends and replaced two of my retractors that had failed. I can't remember the price right now, but they were alot cheaper than NOS parts from the major catelogs. Also, they'll send you a quote before they begin work on your belts and you can chose just how much you want done depending on your budget. I give them a :yesnod: :yesnod:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/greatwhite/
Old 02-20-2002, 09:12 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Seatbelt advice needed (jrh74cp)

"I put in a set I found at Juliano's. $89 a side for new belts and retractors, I couldn't go wrong. If originality isn't a major concern, give them a look. http://www.julianos.com "

Could you provide a bit more detail on your installation? I just emailed them and they said they probably wouldn't fit!

thanks

Old 02-20-2002, 09:31 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Seatbelt advice needed (Frank75)

The Camaro REAR belts will work if your mounting location has the holding screw for the rear retractor going straight down. Some of the sharks have them mounted to the side and then the camaro inertial locking mechanism will not work in your car. They fit fine with no mods required in a 1970. As for original seatbelts - I got a very nice set of correctly dated 70 belts from Charlie Santorelli at a good price. He also does restoration & rewebbing and rebuilding of seatbelts. I believe his turnaround time is faster than some of the other bigger seatbelt restoration vendors. He's very straight with schedules, what he does or doesn't have, condition etc. I was very pleased. :)
SEATBELT SITY
99 Autumn Ridge Rd.
Bedminster, N.J. 07921
908-719-2354
Old 02-21-2002, 10:45 AM
bjones9858
Intermediate

I was in the same shape with my 76. Rusted beyound easy repair and I didn't want to spend $500 - 600. Bought a cheap pair on ebay ($20) but they were lap only. Then I got the bright idea to take the rear belts out of my 200,000+ mile Jeep Cherokee. They were almost unused and the right color. The reel is not under the seat now, it's in that little box behind the seat. Had to rig a L bracket to bolt them in. Seems to work but I haven't crashed yet.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:08 PM
80_Shark
Racer

Default Re: Seatbelt advice needed (Frank75)

________________________________________ ____________________
[QUOTE]"I put in a set I found at Juliano's. $89 a side for new belts and retractors, I couldn't go wrong. If originality isn't a major concern, give them a look. http://www.julianos.com "_______________________________________ _______________

________________________________________ ____________________
Could you provide a bit more detail on your installation? I just emailed them and they said they probably wouldn't fit!____________________________________ ________________________

jhr74cp

I too am interested in what you had to do in order for the juliano's belts to fit. I called them last year and they said several vette buyers returned their belts because the mounts were/are different. If you customized the mounting brackets please let us know. $89.00 for each side is a damn good price.
thanks

:cheers:
Old 02-22-2002, 01:07 AM
Tomcat
Intermediate

Default Re: Seatbelt advice needed (mdsmith)

My experience with Snake-Oyl was very good. The quaility of their work was excellent, and I thought that their charges were reasonable.
TC
Old 02-22-2002, 03:49 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Snicker, some 5-6 years ago when I first needed seatbelts for my '72 I bought a new set at Carlysle with good color match and buckles that work for ten bucks per side....I had to work on the mechanism a bit so it functioned normally with belt stretched out ten inches, like the '72 mounting requires,...but they work fine now for about 5 some odd years....so I think ten bucks a side is the right price brand freaking NEW>>>>

GENE
Old 02-22-2002, 06:36 AM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Seatbelt advice needed (mrvette)

the previous owner of my car paid 500 canadian for belts..back in 95... :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To Seatbelt advice needed

Quick Reply: Seatbelt advice needed