C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there better doorlock available for C3s??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 05:23 PM
osssmosis
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there better doorlock available for C3s??

I am on my 4th pair of door locks that I have bought for my 82 Vette. They last an average of 1 winter and then they get stuck and don't work well. Putting WD40 is a temporary solution because they get worse within a month that I put that stuff in. I have also tried numerous products that are available for doorlocks to smooth out the mechanism but they always crap out and don't lock the car anymore. There is nothing else wrong with the door panels except for these stupid locks. All mechanisms inside are working top notch as I check them regularly but the locks for C3 corvettes suck. Isn't there anything better???? How about those nice locks with the rounded key?? these locks are available for many newer cars and look much more stable. NOTE: that I have used quality GM locks, Ecklers Locks, and locks from Autozone, and they all have the same problem. What can I do???
Old 02-19-2002, 05:40 PM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Are there better doorlock available for C3s?? (osssmosis)

Ozzy I havent done it yet but I have seen many posts of upgraded power door locks. Maybe someone who has done this will chime in. :conehead
Old 02-19-2002, 06:02 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Part of your problem is probably caused by using WD-40 in the locks. You really would be better off using household (very light) oil or 5wt motor oil. If the locks are new, use some powdered graphite.

Maybe you have a sealing problem and water is running over the lock cylinders from another area.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:52 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

OS-
Don't know why you're plowing thru locks?! The only prob's I've seen over the years is just wear, or kids sticking stuff in there. Take a close look at the key entry hole, there should be a small shutter door that returns closed on key remvl. This little guy helps the life of the lock by keeping dirt out. NEVER, NEVER, use an oil product to lube lock cylinders of any kind!! Oil attracts dirt like a MAGNET! And that gives a short life to locks! That's why you're seeing increased failure after WD40! Use only a dry graphite, or the 'Lock-Ease' spray (and keep the spray off your paint, surround nozzle w/rag). Run your key in/out after applying, and wipe excess of key.
I don't know of any 'drop-in' substitute for your current GM lock cyl's. Besides, lock 'n tumbler is an old technology that hasn't changed in decades!
Good Luck -Rod :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Are there better doorlock available for C3s??

Quick Reply: Are there better doorlock available for C3s??